Northwestern St. 67, Nicholls St. 65
THIBODAUX, La. (AP)—Tramaine Hancock stole the ball with the game tied and 9 seconds to go, then passed to Jermaine Spencer for a game-winning dunk six seconds later as Northwestern State escaped with a 67-65 win over Nicholls State Wednesday night.
Northwestern (16-11, 10-3 Southland) got a game-tying 3-pointer from Jermaine Wallace with 37 seconds left. The Colonels (6-19, 1-13) worked the clock down to 10 seconds as forward Dominique Geason drove the left side only to have the ball knocked free by three Demons and snagged by Hancock, who called time out with 9.5 seconds remaining.
After the timeout, Hancock drove the length of the court and dumped a pass to Spencer, who cut in along the baseline and made the game-winning dunk with 3.5 seconds left.
Willie Depron led the Colonels with 19 points.
Wallace finished with 18 for the Demons, and Spencer added 15.
- Northwestern St. 67, Nicholls St. 65
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown