S. Illinois 66, Illinois St. 59
NORMAL, Ill. (AP)—Jamaal Tatum had 15 points and three other starters scored in double digits Wednesday to lead Southern Illinois to a 66-59 victory over Illinois State.
Southern Illinois (21-6, 12-3 Missouri Valley) led 30-24 at halftime. Darren Brooks had 13 points, Matt Shaw scored 12 and Stetson Hairston chipped in 11 to help keep the Salukis at the top of the Missouri Valley Conference.
Sloppy play by Illinois State (16-9, 8-7) was a factor, with Southern Illinois scoring 17 points on turnovers. Illinois State—which lost its seventh in a row to the Salukis—scored just two points on turnovers.
The Salukis held Illinois State to just 36.8 percent shooting while making 43.6 percent of their field goals.
The Redbirds were led in scoring by Lorenzo Gordon, who had 13. Gregg Alexander had 12 and Trey Guidry added 11.
- S. Illinois 66, Illinois St. 59
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested', 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look