Utah St. 77, CS Northridge 57
LOGAN, Utah (AP)—Jaycee Carroll scored 22 points to lead four Aggies in double figures as Utah State beat Cal State Northridge 77-57 Thursday night.
Reserve center Cass Matheus scored 13 for the Aggies (18-5, 9-3 Big West). Spencer Nelson scored 17 and Nate Harris had 12 points and pulled down a game-high 15 rebounds.
The Matadors (12-10, 9-4) were led in scoring by Ian Boylan who scored 19 on 7-of-13 shooting. Boylan was 3-of-4 from 3-point range and nabbed four steals.
An aggressive trapping zone defense by UCN caused 18 Aggie turnovers and gave the Matadors 13 steals.
USU was able to break through the pressure defense to gain 22 points in the paint in the second half, leading by as many as 20 points twice in the second half.
Northridge led much of the first half, until a 10-2 run by the Aggies near the end of the half gave USU momentum and a 36-26 halftime lead. The run was sparked by two consecutive steals by reserve Chris Huber and a steal and basket by Carroll as the halftime horn sounded.
USU came into the game leading the nation in field goal percentage, shooting 54 percent from the field, and with Harris third in the nation at 65.6 percent. Harris shot 5-for-6 Thursday night.
- Top high school prospect crosses up John Wall
- Tar Heels ready for Final Four push after title-game loss
- Freshman class makes Duke a title favorite once again
- Police: South Carolina guard Felder kicked officers
- Clemson looking to end NCAA Tournament drought this season
- Defending champion Oregon picked to repeat as Pac-12 winner