Arizona St. 68, Washington St. 62
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP)—Serge Angounou scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to give Arizona State a 68-62 win over Washington State on Thursday night.
Angounou, who has five double-doubles this season, made all seven of his field goal tries and 4-of-4 free throws for the Sun Devils (15-5, 4-4).
Jeff Varem had 24 points for Washington State (8-9, 3-5), which has now lost three in a row.
Ike Diogu had 15 points and 13 rebounds—his conference-leading 10th double-double this season—before fouling out with 33 seconds left.
After Angounou’s free throws, Robbie Cowgill got the Cougars within 66-60 and Thomas Kelati, who had 17 points and nine rebounds, stole the ensuing inbounds pass and Varem hit a layup to cut the lead to four. But Washington State got no closer.
Kevin Kruger added 14 points on 4-for-6 shooting from the 3-point line for Arizona State, which led 33-23 at halftime.
Diogu has scored in double figures for all 79 games of his career and has 25 double-doubles as a Sun Devil.
Arizona State made 22 of 46 from the field against the best defense in the conference, which had held opponents to 54.6 points and 38.5 percent shooting coming into the game.
- Former UNC player Quentin Thomas tries his hand at rapping
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78