Holy Cross 80, American 56
WORCESTER, Mass. (AP)—Kevin Hamilton scored 23 points and Keith Simmons added 17 to lead Holy Cross to an 80-56 win over American on Monday.
The Crusaders led by 21 points in the first half of a game rescheduled from Sunday when 26 inches of snow fell in the Worcester area.
Holy Cross (13-5, 4-1 Patriot League) hit 53 percent of its shots, while American sank just 39 percent. The Crusaders also got 15 points from Pat Doherty, while Hamilton added seven assists and five steals. American (10-7, 3-2) was led by Matej Cresnik and Andre Ingram with 10 points each.
American cut a 41-24 halftime deficit to 41-28 on baskets by Jason Thomas and Raimonda Petrauskas. The Eagles were within striking distance at 52-38 with 13:19 left in the game before Hamilton’s 3-pointer began a 12-4 run that made the score 64-42. Kevin Hyland scored six points in the surge.
Holy Cross had taken its biggest lead of the first half, 41-20, on a jumper by Nate Lufkin with 1:34 remaining.
- Holy Cross 80, American 56
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0