CS Northridge 66, UC Irvine 52
IRVINE, Calif. (AP)—Ian Boylan scored 19 points Thursday night as Cal State Northridge overcame an 11-point halftime deficit to beat UC Irvine 66-52.
Trailing 36-25 at the half, Cal State Northridge (5-7, 3-1 Big West Conference) outscored UC Irvine 41-16 in the second half. The Anteaters went 7-for-20 from the field in the second half made just two of five free throw attempts.
Northridge scored 10 consecutive points early in the second half and eventually tied the score 42-42 with 12:17 to play after Matador Davin White made a 3-pointer.
Thomas Shewmake converted a basket off an offensive rebound to give the Matadors a 58-45 lead with 5:01 to play as the Matadors took advantage of 14 Irvine turnovers in the second half.
Aaron Fitzgerald led the Anteaters with 13 points and Darren Fells had 13 rebounds.
UC Irvine (6-4, 1-2) dominated the boards 22-10 in the first half, converting several baskets off fast breaks.
The Matadors won without senior Joseph Frazier, who was recently suspended indefinitely for detrimental conduct. Frazier is Northridge’s second-leading scorer and leads the Big West in steals.
- No. 23 Butler rolls past Ball State 59-38
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78