Alabama A&M 86, Grambling St. 80
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—Obie Trotter had 19 points and seven assists to lead Alabama A&M to an 86-80 victory over Grambling State Thursday in the first round of the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament.
The fifth-seeded Bulldogs (12-16) shot 55 percent and made 32-of-44 free throws to advance to a semifinal game against Alcorn State.
Terry Horton added 16 points on 8-of-10 shooting and Otis Walker had 12 points and nine rebounds for Alabama A&M, which made 15-of-22 shots in the second half. Chris Collins had 10 points off the bench.
Paul Haynes and Ron Ellis had 16 points apiece for fourth-seeded Grambling State (11-18), which shot just 34 percent. Brion Rush had 14 points and Anthony Williams 13, while Maurice Searight had seven points, nine assists and four steals.
The Tigers made just 28-of-83 shots and were 15 of 28 from the free throw line.
- East Tennessee St. tops Campbell 79-60
- Graham's 27 lead No. 6 Kansas past No. 3 Oklahoma 76-72
- Ochefu scores 25, No. 1 Villanova beats St. John's 73-63
- Jackson leads Notre Dame to upset of No. 13 Louisville 71-66
- No. 14 Iowa State beats No. 24 Texas 85-75
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56