Northwestern St. 84, McNeese St. 78
LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP)—Clifton Lee scored 20 points as Northwestern State beat McNeese State 84-78 on Saturday night.
Northwestern (4-8, 2-0 Southland Conference) came back from an early McNeese double-digit lead as it won its second victory in a row.
McNeese (4-9, 0-2) overcame an early Northwestern eight-point lead and led 42-39 at the halftime.
But behind 67 percent shooting in the second half, the Demons chipped away at the deficit and took the lead for good when Lee dumped in back-to-back layups to make it 60-58 with 8:54 left.
The Demons went ahead 73-66 with 4:19 to go on a free throw by Byron Allen. The Cowboys drew within two points on three occasions, the last with 19 seconds left.
Lee led four Demons in double digits. Jermaine Wallace had 16 points, Allen 14 and Keenan Jones 10. The Demons shot 58 percent for the game.
Edward Garriet led the Cowboys with 20 points and Eldridge Lewis scored 13 and Monte’ Farmer had 11. Garriet also made five 3-pointers.
The Cowboys held a 37-27 edge in rebounds but hit only 36.8 percent of its field goals for the game.
- Boston U. drops Boston College 75-61
- Jok scores 23 to lead No. 5 Iowa past Illinois, 77-65
- Brooks scores 30 as No. 16 Oregon beats Utah 76-66
- Miller, Purvis lead UConn to 85-67 win over East Carolina
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win