Virginia 78, VMI 56
LEXINGTON, Va. (AP)—Elton Brown and Derrick Byars scored 14 points apiece and Brown added 13 rebounds in just 21 minutes Friday night, leading Virginia to its 23rd consecutive victory against Virginia Military Institute, 78-56.
The Cavaliers (5-0), playing on the road for the first time, limited the Keydets to 25 percent shooting in the first half in racing to a 40-19 lead, then coasted to their 100th victory in 115 meetings with the Keydets, now of the Big South Conference.
VMI (1-4) got 16 points from Radee Skipworth and nine each from Tim Allmond and Fred Robinson, but the Keydets committed 17 turnovers to just nine for Virginia.
VMI also was outscored 18-6 at the free-throw line as the Keydets continued a futility streak started after their 95-75 home victory over Virginia on Dec. 9, 1964.
Virginia outrebounded VMI 45-44, the first time this season the Cavaliers have outrebounded an opponent. The game also was the second in a row in which the Cavaliers turned the ball over just nine times. They forced 18 giveaways on Wednesday night in an 86-78 victory against Minnesota in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge at University Hall.
Donte Minter was 6-for-6 from the field and added 13 points for Virginia.
- Saint Mary's stuns 'Nova to advance to Sweet 16
- Trier scores 18, No. 17 Arizona holds off UCLA 81-75
- Holder scores 20, Arizona State knocks off No. 23 USC, 74-67
- Disallowed Boise State buzzer-beater should have counted
- Monmouth stuns Rider late in 79-78 win
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold