UMBC 59, TOWSON 53
TOWSON, Md. (AP)— Cory McJimson scored 12 points while John Zito added 11 and Andrew Feeley had 10 as UMBC rallied for a 59-53 victory over Towson on Saturday night.
The Retrievers’ win in the Battle of Baltimore championship earns UMBC’s fourth consecutive title. UMBC (2-0) has been in the championship game for five straight years.
UMBC’s balanced attack helped the team bounce back from a very slow start with just 10 points in the first 14 minutes. McJimson hit six of 11 from the field and added eight rebounds.
But the Retrievers then reeled off 13 straight points for a 23-20 lead with 2:20 left in the first half. Six of those points came from Feeley, who was voted the tournament’s best player. UMBC never trailed again.
Rob Gogerty added 11 assists and helped the Retrievers keep control of the game in the second half. Kareem Washington came off the bench to hit two key 3-pointers in the second half.
Lawrence Hamm led Towson (1-1) with 10 points and 11 rebounds. The Tigers allowed 17 turnovers to UMBC’s nine. Two of those turnovers were in the final minute of the game.
- BYU’s secret weapon against Damian Lillard: Jimmer Fredette
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78