UConn responds to reported recruiting violations
STORRS, CONNECTICUT (TICKER) —The University of Connecticut says it will conduct an investigation following an Internet report claiming that the men’s basketball team committed major NCAA recruiting violations.
Yahoo Sports reported early Wednesday morning that Connecticut violated NCAA rules in its recruitment of Nate Miles, who was expelled from the school this past October.
Citing documents obtained via the Freedom of Information Act, Yahoo Sports reported that Miles was provided with lodging, meals and transportation by Josh Nochimson, a sports agent who previously served as a student manager with the Huskies.
The university responded to the report Wednesday afternoon, pointing out that no current member of the team is involved in the alleged recruiting scandal. The report was published one day before the Huskies will face Purdue in the regional semifinals of the NCAA Tournament.
“The story printed today includes no current student-athletes and no student-athlete who has ever competed for the institution,” Connecticut’s athletic department said in a statement. “The university’s men’s basketball team and its coaches are working today to prepare for its upcoming game tomorrow night.
“University outside counsel and administrators are continuing to review the article to determine if additional action is required. The university takes very seriously its responsibilities of NCAA membership and will do all that is expected to follow up on any information related to possible NCAA rules violations.”
The report stated that several members of Connecticut’s coaching staff, including longtime head coach Jim Calhoun, was in frequent telephone contact with Nochimson both during and after Miles’ recruitment.
Miles, a talented 6-7 forward from Toledo, Ohio, was expelled from UConn after he was charged with violating a restraining order. He never appeared in a game with the Huskies.
“The University of Connecticut received a Freedom of Information Act Request from Yahoo Sports during the fall,” the school said. “That request was acted upon in a series of communications with Yahoo culminating in complete disclosure of all requests.
“When the University began its recruitment of the student-athlete named in the article, it utilized the university’s outside counsel on NCAA related matters who worked collaboratively with the NCAA staff to examine all aspects of his amateur status, as is expected under NCAA rules. The NCAA’s Eligibility Center reviewed all information that it had concerning the student-athlete’s eligibility status and determined that he was eligible for his freshman year. The student-athlete departed from the University before ever participating in athletics competition.”