Texas Tech Capsule
Nickname: Red Raiders Coach: Bob Knight Location: Lubbock, Texas Record at Texas Tech: 126-73 Conference: Big 12 Career Record: 890-362 Overall Record: 21-12 Conference Record and Finish: 9-7, 5th Seed, Region and Bid: 10th, East, At-Large Total NCAA Tournament Bids: 14 NCAA Tournament Record: 8-14 (.364) Final Four Appearances: 0 NCAA Tournament Championships: 0 Best NCAA Tournament Finish: REGIONAL SEMIFINALIST (2005) Final ESPN/USA Today ranking: NR Final Associated Press ranking: NR Final Ratings Percentage Index: 53 Record vs. teams in the field: 4-5 Starters: F -- Jon Plefka (6-8, 245, Sr. -- 6.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg) F -- Darryl Dora (6-9, 245, Sr. -- 5.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg) G -- Martin Zeno (6-5, 208, Jr. -- 16.5 ppg, 3.2 apg) G -- Charlie Burgess (6-1, 190, Jr. -- 8.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg) G -- Jarrius Jackson (6-2, 185, Sr. -- 20.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg) Key Reserves: F -- Decensae White (6-6, 200, Fr. -- 4.4 ppg) G -- Alan Voskuil (6-3, 175, So. -- 3.9 ppg) (statistics before NCAA Tournament) OUTLOOK: Once upon a time a Bob Knight-coached team was a virtual lock to get through the first two rounds. Not anymore for the all-time coaching wins leader in Division I. While the Red Raiders recovered from a late five-game swoon to win their final five of the regular season, none of the victories came against the beasts of the Big 12 Conference. Texas Tech does get a favorable first-round matchup against struggling Boston College, but a 66-45 beating at the hands of Kansas State in its Big 12 tourney opener does little to allay fears that the Red Raiders could make another early exit. Not that there isn't talent. High-scoring Jackson leads a potent perimeter-based attack for Tech, which enters the NCAAs as the No. 2 team in 3-point shooting percentage (41.6). Guards Zeno and Burgess must contribute on the offensive end because Red Raiders big men Plefka and Dora are not forces inside. Texas Tech takes care of ball, but it gets outrebounded by a margin of five per game, leaving the team far too reliant on the long-range shot. NEXT GAME: Thursday vs. (7) Boston Coll. at Winston Salem, N.C.
Follow Yahoo! Sports' college basketball coverage on Twitter.
Updated Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007
- Texas Tech Capsule
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons