Nickname: Boilermakers Coach: Matt Painter Location: West Lafayette, Indiana Record at Purdue: 30-30 Conference: Big Ten Career record: 55-35 Overall Record: 21-11 Conference Record and Finish: 9-7, 5th Seed, Region and Bid: 9, Midwest, At-large Total NCAA Tournament Bids: 21 NCAA Tournament Record: 27-20 (.574) Final Four Appearances: 2 (1969, 1980) NCAA Tournament Championships: 0 Best NCAA Tournament Finish: NATIONAL RUNNER-UP (1969) Final ESPN/USA Today ranking: NR Final Associated Press ranking: NR Final Ratings Percentage Index: 44 Record vs. teams in the field: 5-7 Starters: F -- Gordon Watt (6-6, 225, So. -- 7.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg) F -- Carl Landry (6-7, 245, Sr. -- 18.9 ppg, 7.1 rpg) G -- David Teague (6-5, 196, Sr. -- 14.3 ppg, 5.1 rpg) G -- Keaton Grant (6-4, 200, Fr. -- 4.5 ppg) G -- Chris Kramer (6-3, 195, Fr. -- 6.6 ppg, 2.5 apg) Key Reserves: G -- Chris Lutz (6-2, 190, So. -- 5.9 ppg) G -- Tarrance Crump (6-1, 181, Jr. -- 5.6 ppg) (statistics before NCAA Tournament) OUTLOOK: Behind the up-and-coming coach Painter, the Boilermakers are back in the NCAA Tournament after a three-year absence. Similar to the way it played under former longtime coach Gene Keady, Purdue is a tough hard-nosed club. That blue-collar ethic is epitomized by the freshman Kramer, who leads the team in assists and steals. Offensively, the Boilermakers rely on the 1-2 punch of Landry and Teague. A 43-percent shooter on 3-pointers, Teague picked up his scoring down the stretch, averaging 17.2 points over the final 10 games. Although they are not as athletically talented as its opponent, Purdue's slow, deliberate play could cause problems for Arizona. NEXT GAME: Friday vs. (8) Arizona at New Orleans
Follow Yahoo! Sports' college basketball coverage on Twitter.
Updated Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007
- Purdue Capsule
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?