North Texas Capsule
Nickname: Mean Green Coach: Johnny Jones Location: Denton, Texas Record at North Texas: 86-88 Conference: Sun Belt Career record: 101-104 Overall Record: 23-10 Conference Record and Finish: 10-8, 3rd Seed, Region and Bid: 15, South, Automatic Total NCAA Tournament Bids: 2 NCAA Tournament Record: 0-1 Final Four Appearances: 0 NCAA Tournament Championships: 0 Best NCAA Tournament Finish: First Round (1988) Final ESPN/USA Today ranking: NR Final Associated Press ranking: NR Final Ratings Percentage Index: 137 Record vs. teams in the field: 0-0 Starters: F -- Rich Young (6-5, 205, Sr. -- 5.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg) F -- Quincy Williams (6-8, 230, Jr. -- 10.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg) C -- Keith Wooden (6-9, 245, Jr. -- 9.0 ppg, 5.5 rpg) G -- Ben Bell (6-3, 170, Jr. -- 7.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg) G -- Calvin Watson (6-5, 215, Sr. -- 15.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg) Key Reserves: G -- Kendrick Davis (6-4, 195, Sr. -- 13.2 ppg, 2.5 rpg) G -- Michael Sturns (6-4, 190, Jr. -- 12.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg) (statistics before NCAA Tournament) OUTLOOK: The Mean Green, who are making their first NCAA appearance in 19 years, are built around the senior backcourt of Watson and Davis, who missed 10 games this season due to injury. North Texas favors a pressing, run-and-gun style, which could pose troublesome to most teams but will play right into the hands of first-round opponent Memphis, which does the same, only a little better. Watson was in a slump, going just 4-of-23 from 3-point range before rebounding to hit 6-of-7 in the Sun Belt championship game. Williams and Wooden have been steady contributors, helping North Texas outrebound its opponents by six per game. NEXT GAME: Friday vs. (2) Memphis at New Orleans
Follow Yahoo! Sports' college basketball coverage on Twitter.
Updated Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007
- North Texas Capsule
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four