Long Beach St Capsule
Nickname: 49ers Coach: Larry Reynolds Location: Long Beach, California Record at Long Beach St: 63-82 Conference: Big West Career record: 173-117 Overall Record: 24-7 Conference Record and Finish: 12-2, 1st Seed, Region and Bid: 12, South, Automatic Total NCAA Tournament Bids: 8 NCAA Tournament Record: 7-8 Final Four Appearances: 0 NCAA Tournament Championships: 0 Best NCAA Tournament Finish: REGIONAL FINALIST (1972) Final ESPN/USA Today ranking: NR Final Associated Press ranking: NR Final Ratings Percentage Index: 79 Record vs. teams in the field: 0-2 Starters: F -- Sterling Byrd (6-6, 215, Sr. -- 13.9 ppg, 6.7 rpg) F -- Dominique Ricks (6-6, 222, Sr. -- 7.3 ppg, 5.8 rpg) G -- Kejuan Johnson (6-4, 195, Sr. -- 15.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg) G -- Kevin Houston (5-10, 180, Sr. -- 11.7 ppg, 4.4 apg) G -- Aaron Nixon (6-2, 219, Sr. -- 18.6 ppg, 4.9 rpg) Key Reserves: G -- Mark Dawson (6-9, 220, Sr. -- 5.7 ppg, 4.4 rpg) (statistics before NCAA Tournament) OUTLOOK: Their out-of-conference schedule - consecutive lopsided losses to USC, UCLA and Temple - suggests they are outclassed, but the 49ers have the ingredients that many teams fear in the one-and-done format. Long Beach has five senior starters, averages 80 points and is not shy about hoisting up the 3-pointer. The run-and-gun 49ers made a school-record 261 from the arc this season, surpassing last season's mark of 256. Therefore, if they are hot, anything is possible. Big West Player of the Year Nixon is averaging 24.0 points in his last six games, capped by a 29-point, 11-rebound performance in the conference championship game. Their main hope is to get Tennessee playing at their pace and hope the streak of a No. 12 seed upsetting a fifth in the NCAAs continues. NEXT GAME: Friday vs. (5) Tennessee at Columbus, Ohio
Follow Yahoo! Sports' college basketball coverage on Twitter.
Updated Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007
- Long Beach St Capsule
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA