The Rockets have lost back-to-back games and three of four to fall one game behind eighth-place Phoenix in the Western Conference playoff race.
On Thursday, Houston lost at intrastate rival San Antonio, 98-85. Cuttino Mobley scored 21 points and Maurice Taylor added 15 but Yao Ming, a leading candidate for Rookie of the Year, had just two on 1-of-9 shooting.
The Rockets have beaten the Nuggets twice this season, including an 87-85 triumph here on January 11. Houston has won three in a row at home over Denver.
The Nuggets, who have the worst record in the Western Conference, have won two of three, including a 108-103 triumph over Milwaukee on Wednesday.
The Nuggets, who have not won consecutive contests since February 2-4, have lost four in a row on the road since a 98-92 victory at Miami on March 8.
Denver is a Western Conference-worst 4-32 away from the Pepsi Center, while Houston is 24-12 at the Compaq Center.
Blog Coverage from SB Nation
- Denver (16-56) at Houston (37-35)
- Knicks fire coach Derek Fisher; Rambis gets interim job
- Lillard has 33 to lead Blazers past Grizzlies 112-106
- Redick leads Clippers to 98-92 OT victory over 76ers
- George's big finish leads Pacers past Lakers 89-87
- Johnson hits 3-pointer at buzzer, Nets beat Nuggets 105-104