Yahoo Contributor Network
This article was created on the Yahoo Contributor Network, where users like you are published on Yahoo every day. Learn more »Yahoo Contributor Network
NBA Trade Rumors and News Round-up
Although ESPN's Chris Broussard still believes that the Lakers could try to deal Pau Gasol before March 15, the front office seems to have moderated its plan to overhaul the roster by pursuing an upgrade at the point guard position.
Unlike the Lakers, who seek NBA title number 17 in 2012, the Boston Celtics appear to be ready to pull the plug on the Big Three era in Beantown and would break up the trio for a deal that is in-line with their long-term objectives. Both Kevin Garnett's and Ray Allen's contracts expire at the end of the season and it has been reported that the Celtics are willing to trade them, or even Paul Pierce, for young talent and draft picks.
Meanwhile, the Portland Trailblazers' Jamal Crawford and Raymond Felton are being mentioned in trade rumors, as both guards and the team have underachieved in 2012.
Lastly, it is has been relatively quiet on the Dwight Howard trade front. The most recent speculation revolves around moves the Magic could make to placate the coveted big man, or teams that would be willing to trade for D12 as a one-year rental, even though Howard's trade request and wish list still stand.
Below you will find the latest NBA trade rumors and news:
* Chris Broussard of ESPN: "The talk is that the Lakers are trying to hit a homerun with Pau Gasol, but people feel like they're not going to get that deal. They should just take what Houston is willing to give, which is a nice package of Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic, Luis Scola and maybe Houston's first round pick. … Right next door, the Clippers were offered Jamal Crawford for Eric Bledsoe … and they have their eye on Ray Allen."
* Fred Kerber of the NY Post: "Sources in Orlando maintain the team still clings to the hope Howard will chose to remain with the Magic. In talks with team brass, he proclaims his love of team and city. At least on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The other days, nothing has changed with his trade request."
* Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel: "Magic General Manager Otis Smith said the list of teams who are still calling about the possibility of acquiring or 'renting' Dwight Howard are down to 'six to eight.'"
* Sekou Smith of NBA.com: "Both Jamal Crawford and Raymond Felton have been here before during their careers. So the roller coaster ride that is the NBA trade deadline rumor mill should be nothing new to the Portland Trail Blazers' veteran guards. With the March 15 trade deadline looming and the Trail Blazers stuck in neutral, losers of three in a row and currently on the outside looking at the Western Conference playoff picture, the speculation is that either one or both of them could be moved by the deadline."
* Alex Kennedy of HOOPSWORLD: "The Boston Celtics aren't actively shopping Ray Allen, but they're 'accepting calls,' according to one executive. The Minnesota Timberwolves are making a strong push to acquire Jamal Crawford prior to the trade deadline, according to multiple sources."
More from the Yahoo! Contributor Network:
Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Sign up here to start publishing your own sports content.