July 22, 2009
I truly believe that.
Tuesday night, Stephon Marbury(notes) jumped on Ustream — a popular video streaming website once hijacked by Eddy Curry poltergeists — to answer a few questions. What started as a simple show marred by technical difficulties quickly turned into an epic two-hour Q&A rant still marred by technical difficulties. (Neither Marbs nor his "IT department," which consisted of a guy who looked like Hancock, ever got the video working.)
But there was crystal clear audio, and honestly, it was the perfect example of what Twitter should be. "Direct, unfiltered, media free access." And oh, entertaining as all get-out.
• "John Stockton is a computer. He's playing chess with you. He's doing stuff to you before it even happens."
• "We gotta bring the haters over. Once we bring 'em over, we goin' overpopulate."
• "Eddie House's kid is funny as hell."
• "Mandarin is gonna be the language in 15-to-20 years."
• "I'm telling you what it is: I know I'm the best point guard in the NBA. I don't need anybody else to tell me that."
• "Can I play lacrosse? Yeah, I can play lacrosse. Jim Brown played lacrosse."
• "I'm not doing a movie like Bassy ... yet. I got a movie coming out Christmas Day. Brooke Shields is in it."
• "Danny Ainge, as a player, was a killer."
• "That's not bling! These are angel wings around my neck!"
• "How did I hurt the Knicks? Tell me how I hurt the Knicks. (pause) Exactly. (laughs) The Knicks hurt you!"
• "Dwyane Wade, you don't guard him. You try to contain him."
• "Can I rap? Yeah, I can rap. But I don't. Rap is just fast talking."
• "It's not easy. There's a lot of games you want to sit down, but something keeps you going."
• "That is bull [expletive]. [Expletive] ... bull. Bull [expletive]. Sheeeeeeeeeet."
• "Nothing wrong with wanting to go home."
Man, I wish I were back in high school just so I could use one of those gems as my yearbook quote.
Stay thirsty for more @StarburyMarbury Ustream sessions, my friends.
Thanks to Twitter associates @russbengtson, @marcel_mutoni, @JustinRWalsh, @PS1968, @pop_martian, @CelticsHoops, @ticktock6, @7SecondsOrMess and @bomani_jones for help pulling these quotes together. Follow them along with Woj/Ludden/Spears, KD and me.