Jackson detained for observation

Just one day removed from being arrested by the Costa Mesa (Calif.) police department and charged with alleged felony evasion, hit-and-run, and reckless driving, former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson found himself in the custody of another California jurisdiction.

Although Jackson was not arrested again, the Irvine police escorted him to mental health professionals for observation due to reports of Jackson being a possible threat to himself and others.

“We did go out to the residence where he was staying at 4:31 p.m. PT (on Wednesday in the city of Irvine). We were asked to assist with him and make sure that he was safe and not a danger to himself or others,” said Lt. Rick Handfield of the Irvine police. “He was exhibiting some unusual behavior that his friends that were there felt concerned.”

Details of Jackson’s exact behavior were not forthcoming.

“At the conclusion of our contact, we did detain him and take him to be seen by mental health professionals,” continued Lt. Handfield. He was not released back to Irvine police. “We left him with the mental health professionals.”

Due to privacy laws, there is no further information on the findings of the mental health professionals.

On Tuesday, Jackson was arrested by the Costa Mesa Police Department following a high-speed chase down Newport Boulevard that allegedly involved multiple collisions between the custom painted pick-up truck that Jackson was identified as driving and other vehicles. He was also reported to have crossed over the median into oncoming traffic and running red lights, causing pedestrians to flee out of the way before Jackson was taken into custody.

Jackson’s pick-up is detailed by a custom camouflage paint job with his likeness and sponsor logos emblazoned across the side.

He was released from Costa Mesa authorities on $25,000 bail overnight Tuesday night, leading up to Wednesday’s incident in Irvine.

Jackson defeated Chuck Liddell for the UFC light heavyweight title in May of 2007. He held that title for more than a year, until losing two weeks ago at UFC 86 in Las Vegas by unanimous decision to current champion Forrest Griffin.

Ultimate Fighting Championship officials have not commented on the situation.

  • For all the latest MMA news, go to MMAWeekly.com

    Follow Yahoo! Sports' MMA coverage on Twitter.
    Updated Thursday, Jul 17, 2008