UFC 27: ‘The Beast’ meets Rizzo
Heavyweights were the feature of UFC 27, which was held Sept. 22, 2000, in New Orleans, La. The show featured the return of 42-year-old Dan “The Beast” Severn, who, though active in mixed martial arts in the interim, had not fought in the company since UFC 12 three-and-a-half years earlier.
Severn wouldn’t last long, though, barely making it to the 90-second mark. He took two hard leg kicks from Pedro Rizzo and verbally submitted.
The show also featured the debut of Yuki Kondo, as well as yet another submission victory by Jeremy Horn. Though modern mixed martial arts was not yet 10 years old, the bout was Horn’s 55th.
The biggest news on the show came during the broadcast, when it was announced that state of New Jersey had sanctioned a set of rules that would come to be known as the unified rules. This was the biggest step to date in the widespread acceptance of mixed martial arts, though it came too late to save original UFC owners Semaphore Entertaiment.
Maurice Smith defeated Bobby Hoffman in what would be the last UFC victory of his career.
Jeff Monson, a high-level grappler who would eventually fight for the UFC heavyweight title, made his MMA debut on the card, defeating Tim Lajcik in the show’s opening bout.
Tedd Williams, a judo black belt and All-American wrestler, made his last UFC appearance. He later became well known in MMA for founding successful smaller promotions King of the Cage and Gladiator Challenge.
Jeff Monson def. Tim Lajcik, unanimous decision
Brad Gumm vs. C.J. Fernandes, draw
Fabiano Iha def. Laverne Clark, submission (armbar), 1:10 R1
Jeremy Horn def. Eugene Jackson, submission (armbar), 4:32 R1
Yuki Kondo def. Alexandre Dantas, TKO (strikes), 2:28 R3
Ian Freeman def. Tedd Williams, unanimous decision
Maurice Smith def. Bobby Hoffman, unanimous decision
Perdo Rizzo def. Dan Severn, verbal submission, 1:33 R1
- Bellator MMA Swoops in and Signs UFC Vet Matt Riddle in Deal with Legacy FC
- Vitor Belfort: “TRT Doesn't Win Fights”
- Former UFC Lightweight Paul Kelly Convicted of Trafficking Heroin
- UFC Champion Georges St-Pierre Lands Role in Monster's University
- Nate Diaz Suspended Pending Internal Investigation for Use of Homophobic Slur on Twitter
- “It's Time” for Bruce Buffer to Unleash His UFC Memories and Motivational Mantra
- Brandon Vera Returns to Heavyweight to Face Ben Rothwell at UFC 164
- UPDATED: UFC Releases Official Statement Confirming Pat Healy's Suspension and Rescinded Bonuses
- The UFC Suspends and Fines Nate Diaz for Derogatory Tweet
- UFC on FX 8 Weigh-In Results: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold is Official
- Scott Holtzman Moves on From Nick Newell Saga, Faces John Mahlow for XFC Title
- Sam Sicilia is Still on the UFC Roster
- Luke Rockhold Believes “There's a Recipe to Beat Vitor Belfort”