UFC 27: ‘The Beast’ meets Rizzo
Heavyweights were the feature of UFC 27, which was held Sept. 22, 2000, in New Orleans, La. The show featured the return of 42-year-old Dan “The Beast” Severn, who, though active in mixed martial arts in the interim, had not fought in the company since UFC 12 three-and-a-half years earlier.
Severn wouldn’t last long, though, barely making it to the 90-second mark. He took two hard leg kicks from Pedro Rizzo and verbally submitted.
The show also featured the debut of Yuki Kondo, as well as yet another submission victory by Jeremy Horn. Though modern mixed martial arts was not yet 10 years old, the bout was Horn’s 55th.
The biggest news on the show came during the broadcast, when it was announced that state of New Jersey had sanctioned a set of rules that would come to be known as the unified rules. This was the biggest step to date in the widespread acceptance of mixed martial arts, though it came too late to save original UFC owners Semaphore Entertaiment.
Maurice Smith defeated Bobby Hoffman in what would be the last UFC victory of his career.
Jeff Monson, a high-level grappler who would eventually fight for the UFC heavyweight title, made his MMA debut on the card, defeating Tim Lajcik in the show’s opening bout.
Tedd Williams, a judo black belt and All-American wrestler, made his last UFC appearance. He later became well known in MMA for founding successful smaller promotions King of the Cage and Gladiator Challenge.
Jeff Monson def. Tim Lajcik, unanimous decision
Brad Gumm vs. C.J. Fernandes, draw
Fabiano Iha def. Laverne Clark, submission (armbar), 1:10 R1
Jeremy Horn def. Eugene Jackson, submission (armbar), 4:32 R1
Yuki Kondo def. Alexandre Dantas, TKO (strikes), 2:28 R3
Ian Freeman def. Tedd Williams, unanimous decision
Maurice Smith def. Bobby Hoffman, unanimous decision
Perdo Rizzo def. Dan Severn, verbal submission, 1:33 R1
- Former UFC star Chael Sonnen to fight Renato 'Babalu' Sobral at Metamoris VI
- CM Punk 'has some things to work on' after first true sparring session
- Ronda Rousey's latest movie project revealed amid criticism from rival
- Loss to Fedor Emelianenko Still Haunts Andrei Arlovski
- UFC 184 Medical Suspensions: Pennington, Six Others, Sidelined up to Six Months
- Gegard Mousasi and Neil Magny Headed to UFC Manila
- UFC Champion Ronda Rousey's Latest Movie Project Revealed
- Ronda Rousey Changing Society’s Traditional Ideals about Women in Sports
- Ronda Rousey is never going to fight a man, so please STOP
- Jon Jones believes he can beat Cain Velasquez, but will 'super fight' ever happen?
- Anderson Silva Surprised by Drug Test Failure, Open to Nick Diaz Rematch
- TUF Latin America 2 Revealed with Kelvin Gastelum and Efrain Escudero
- After 14 Years, UFC Babysitter to the Stars, Burt Watson, Steps Aside
- UFC 184 Fighter Salaries: Jake Ellenberger, Not Ronda Rousey, Tops Payroll
- Anderson Silva Will Reportedly Admit to ‘Therapeutic' PEDs Use
- Bellator Sues to Block Rampage Jackson's UFC Return