UFC 9: The show goes on
The tournament format was abandoned for UFC 9 in favor of scheduled bouts similar to how boxing cards were scheduled.
The event’s existence, though, was questionable until the day of the show as political pressure was beginning to build on the organization. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., had begun to criticize the UFC publicly and Michigan officials nearly forced the card at Detroit’s Cobo Arena to be canceled.
The card was held after a court battle and with the UFC agreeing that there would be no closed-fisted strikes. Referee John McCarthy warned the fighters before the card not to punch with closed fists, but the warning was ignored and there were no incidents as a result.
The main event featured rivals Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn in a rematch in what turned out to be an awful fight with little action. Fans pelted the ring with garbage after Severn won a split decision in overtime.
Mark Schultz, a three-time NCAA wrestling champion and a gold medalist in freestyle wrestling at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, defeated Gary Goodridge by TKO in the only mixed martial arts fight of his career.
Amaury Bitteti, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu fighter who lost to Don Frye on the card, was announced to the crowd as having a 150-1 BJJ record.
Famed Japanese sumo Koji Kitao outweighed Mark Hall by almost 200 pounds, but didn’t last a minute. A Hall right hand broke his nose and Kitao quit just 40 seconds into the bout.
Steve Nelmark def. Tai Bowden, TKO, 7:25
Cal Worsham def. Zane Frazier, TKO, 3:14
Rafael Carino def. Matt Anderson, TKO, 5:32
Mark Schultz def. Gary Goodridge, TKO, 12:00
Mark Hall def. Koji Kitao, TKO, 0:40
Don Frye def. Amaury Bitetti, TKO, 9:22
Superfight championship (30-minute time limit)
Dan Severn def. Ken Shamrock, decision (Severn wins title).
- Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks UFC Title Fight Being Targeted for This Fall
- Randy Couture Helps Wounded Soldiers and Their Families
- Dustin Poirier vs. Erik Koch Has Been Added to the UFC 164 Fight Card in Milwaukee
- MMA Top 10 Rankings: Jacare Souza Makes Bold Middleweight Move
- Unless Madison Square Garden Beckons, Matt Serra is Retired from Fighting
- International Mixed Martial Arts Federation Establishes Anti-Doping Committee
- Roy Nelson Knocks The Hulk Out of UFC 161 Bout with Stipe Miocic
- IMMAF Announces 2014 World Championships in Conjunction with UFC Las Vegas Fight Week
- Focused on UFC Light Heavyweight Record, Jon Jones Could be Out Six Weeks… or Six Months
- Gegard Mousasi's New Frontier: Knee Surgery Behind Him, He Eyes Quickest Path to a UFC Title
- Alistair Overeem vs. Travis Browne Slated for Fox Sports 1 Card in Boston
- MMA Fighter Shot and Killed While Being Questioned About Connection to Boston Marathon Bombing Suspects
- Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Josh Barnett Returns to the Octagon
- UFC on FX 8 TV Ratings Return to Normal Following Record-Setting January Event