Fernandes was a last-minute replacement for Union captain and midfielder Brian Carroll, who was scratched just before the game because of an illness.
The Union were coming off a 1-1 draw at Portland in their opener. Philadelphia improved to 4-0-2 against New England at PPL Park.
The Revolution were shut out for the second straight game. They began the season with a 4-0 loss at Houston and will play four of their first five games on the road.
- Madrid beats Man City 1-0 to reach Champions League final
- Abby Wambach to join ESPN as analyst and contributor
- FA seeks eye-gouging ban for Dembele of more than 3 games
- FIFA prosecutors want life ban for Webb in bribery case
- Football fans everywhere embrace Leicester's title success
- Ranieri won't sign superstars to strengthen Leicester squad
- Partying, training, then more celebrating for Leicester team
- Real Madrid sets sight on another Champions League final
- Defender Adriano joins list of Barca players probed for tax
- Spanish league loses its sponsor, may have many smaller ones
- World Cup winner Luca Toni announces retirement
- Methodology behind Leicester: Ranieri's winning blueprint
- Argentina plays "Trump" card in Copa America advertising
- Atletico Madrid reaches Champions League final on away goals
- Top Paraguay court rejects Leoz petition to stop extradition
- Serbia shocked by UEFA decision to accept Kosovo