*Burling scores winner, Chivas USA beats Fire 3-2*
CHIVAS 3, CHICAGO 2
Chivas, playing its first game under Wilmer Cabrera and first since the MLS purchased the franchise rights from Club Deportivo Guadalajara owner Jorge Vergara, blew a two-goal advantage before the 6-foot-4 Burling outjumped Chicago’s defense for the winner.
“It’s a little disappointing to give up a two-goal lead at home, but the guys battled back and didn’t give up,” said Burling, who had scored only once before in MLS, nearly four years ago, also on a header from a corner kick. “One last push for a goal, and Mauro put the ball right on the money. I had to do the easy part, run through it, pretty much.”
Erick Torres provided a 56th-minute lead on a penalty kick after drawing a foul from Fire defender Gonzalo Segares, and rookie Thomas McNamara finished Leandro Barrera’s near-post cross three minutes later.
Benji Joya and Quincy Amarikwa scored goals off the bench as Chicago rallied to tie the score with about 20 minutes to go. Joya, a rookie, scored on his first touch of the game in the 64th minute, finishing Alex’s feed at the right post about 30 seconds after coming on.
“If you look at the game as a whole, we were poor. Very disappointing,” Frank Yallop said after his first game as Chicago’s coach. “Having said that, we fought back, we kept going, we tied the game, and to give up a set-piece goal like that is poor on our behalf. We got to learn from it, we got to move on, but I’m very disappointed.”
- Dempsey, Chandler score as US beats Guatemala 4-0
- Mears' first MLS goal lifts Sounders past United, 1-0
- Barcelona loans defender Martin Montoya to Inter Milan
- UEFA lifts Man City, PSG sanctions after clubs curb spending
- Orlando City-Real Salt Lake Preview
- Toronto FC-Galaxy Preview
- New York City FC-Impact Preview
- Copa America: Argentina, Chile trying to end title drought
- Africa's soccer strongman a candidate for FIFA president?
- Nyarko gives Chicago Fire 1-1 draw with Houston Dynamo
- Colombiam forward Falcao joins Chelsea on season-long loan
- Altidore, Dempsey rejoin US lineup against Guatemala
- Whitecaps FC-Rapids Preview
- Revolution-FC Dallas Preview
- Red Bulls-Crew Preview
- Brazilian refs sending message to players: Stop the whining!