United extended its league winless streak to 13 games. The Washington team’s last league victory was at home against Montreal on Aug. 3 of last year, although it did also win the 2013 U.S. Open Cup.
Columbus scored twice in nine minutes, going ahead in the 18th when Arrieta stuck a one-time finish past goalkeeper Bill Hamid after reaching Josh Williams’ cross. Replays showed Arrieta stayed behind the ball—and thus onside—until Williams’ cross was hit.
Higuain scored in the 27th on a penalty kick after referee Andres Pfefferkorn ruled United’s Perry Kitchen pulled down Michael Parkhurst inside the penalty area. Higuain scored again in the 90th on a one-time finish after a perfect cross from substitute Justin Meram.
- Fire-Orlando City Preview
- Flamboyant Depay already a crowd-pleaser at Man United
- Norwich City-Southampton Preview
- Spain coach calls up David de Gea for Euro 2016 qualifiers
- Former European champs Ajax, Celtic grouped in Europa League
- Arsenal-Newcastle United Preview
- Sunderland-Aston Villa Preview
- Watford-Manchester City Preview
- FIFA contender Platini refuses to talk election issues
- Blind replaces Van Persie with Robben as Netherlands captain
- Midfielder Veloso back for Portugal against France, Albania
- Germany picks Liverpool's Emre Can for Euro qualifiers
- Alex Morgan hopes last injury was the last
- Leicester City-Bournemouth Preview
- West Brom-Stoke City Preview
- West Ham United-Liverpool Preview