Valeri scores 2 early lead, Timbers top Chivas 5-0
The win gives Portland the regular-season Western Conference title and with it home-field advantage through at least the first two rounds of the playoffs. Portland (14-5-15) will open the playoffs with an away match on Nov. 2 or 3 against either Seattle, Colorado or the LA Galaxy.
With the result, Chivas (6-20-4) became the 15th team in league history to finish a season with at least 20 losses.
Chivas played without starting goalkeeper Dan Kennedy due to an abdominal strain.
- Mob Museum in Las Vegas to open FIFA exhibit
- Embattled Mexico soccer coach 'El Piojo' Herrera fired after claim he punched journalist
- Sepp Blatter deserves the Nobel Prize, Vladimir Putin says
- Mexico national team coach allegedly hits TV journalist
- Shannon Boxx and Lauren Holiday to retire after victory tour
- FIFA tweaks appointment rules for reforms task force
- Landon Donovan stays connected to the game
- New York Red Bulls sign Shaun Wright-Phillips
- Mexico coach Herrera fired after claim he punched reporter
- AP Sources: Michel Platini will run for FIFA president
- Beasley still interested in playing for national team
- US plays Aruba or St Vincent in World Cup qualifying opener
- Impact acquire former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba
- DeAndre Yedlin on Tottenham roster for MLS All-Star Game
- Trinidad extradition hearing delayed for ex-FIFA VP Warner
- Red Bulls sign Bradley Wright-Phillips' brother, Shaun