Valeri scores 2 early lead, Timbers top Chivas 5-0
The win gives Portland the regular-season Western Conference title and with it home-field advantage through at least the first two rounds of the playoffs. Portland (14-5-15) will open the playoffs with an away match on Nov. 2 or 3 against either Seattle, Colorado or the LA Galaxy.
With the result, Chivas (6-20-4) became the 15th team in league history to finish a season with at least 20 losses.
Chivas played without starting goalkeeper Dan Kennedy due to an abdominal strain.
- US to vote for Ali in FIFA election and not Blatter
- A look at the voting blocs in the FIFA president balloting
- MLS bringing 2016 All-Star game to San Jose's Avaya Stadium
- UN reviewing FIFA partnerships amid corruption scandal
- Defiant soccer chief resists calls to resign amid scandal
- Text from Sepp Blatter's speech at FIFA congress
- Former FIFA member Blazer's plea seems key to investigation
- South Africa's 2010 WCup bid implicated in corruption probe
- Ex-FIFA vice president Warner leaves jail in ambulance
- THE LATEST: US will vote for Prince Ali in FIFA election
- Hawit becomes CONCACAF acting president after Webb charged
- FC Dallas-Sporting Kansas City Preview
- EA Sports is adding the women's game to FIFA 2016
- 5 Players to watch at the Under-20 World Cup
- Visa becomes first FIFA sponsor to warn it could jump ship
- Putin accuses US of meddling into FIFA affairs