Dwyer sends Sporting to 1-0 win over United
Jimmy Nielsen needed just one clutch save to record his league-leading 13th shutout for Sporting (16-10-7). Kansas City is two points ahead of New York and Portland, who both play on Saturday.
United (3-23-7) saw their winless streak reach 18 games and need to win their season finale against Houston on Oct. 27 to avoid finishing with the fewest wins in the league’s 18 seasons.
Dwyer’s goal came after United defender Perry Kitchen misplayed a back pass and had the ball taken away by Sporting’s Peterson Joseph. Joseph passed to Dwyer, who drove past goalkeeper Bill Hamid and shot into the open net for his second goal of the year.
Jared Jeffrey nearly equalized in the 15th minute, getting free on Nielsen for a 1-on-1 after a through ball from Chris Pontius, but Nielsen didn’t bite on Jeffrey’s feints and turned away his shot from close range.
- Dos Santos to miss Mexico's playoff vs US
- Mourinho charged by English FA after getting Chelsea backing
- Fire breaks out at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow
- Honduras gets semifinal spot CONCACAF Olympic qualifying
- Real Salt Lake eliminates Colorado Rapids from playoff race
- Arsenal beats Manchester United 3-0, Bayern routs Dortmund
- Eriksen gives Tottenham draw at Swansea in Premier League
- Liverpool fires Rodgers; Arsenal knock United off top of EPL
- Liverpool gives up on Rodgers experiment, but maybe too soon
- Swiss refuse to release Venezuelan FIFA suspect on bail
- Barrett scores in stoppage time, Sounders tie Galaxy 1-1
- Mexico beats Haiti to take Olympic qualifying semifinal spot
- FC Dallas clinches playoff berth, sweeps Dynamo with 4-1 win
- Liverpool fires manager Brendan Rodgers
- Rodgers' last match sees Liverpool draw at Everton
- Sanchez scores 2 as Arsenal beats Man United 3-0