Opara scores in 17th as Sporting KC beats Crew
Kansas City (15-10-6) entered with the best goals-against average in MLS (0.97) and prevented the Crew from attacking through the midfield as Jimmy Nielsen made his only save on Federico Higuain’s 30-yard free kick in the 77th minute. Nielsen’s 11th shutout moved KC to within two points of Eastern Conference leader New York.
“All 10 guys worked very hard in front of me and had huge discipline in the performance today,” Nielsen said. “We know Columbus has very dangerous guys up front. We wanted to avoid giving them any room to play in.”
The Crew (13-14-5) had a three-game winning streak stopped and are two points out of the final playoff spot in the East with two games left.
“We had very few answers whether it was a final pass, maybe the final dribble for somebody to step around somebody, maybe the run was offside,” Crew interim coach Brian Bliss said. “Whatever it was, we came up short in having an answer in the final third.”
Opara took advantage of an injury to the Crew’s Agustin Viana to score. Viana was hit in the head while defending Opara on a corner kick and went to the turf as the Crew’s Tyson Wahl cleared a shot in front of goal. The ball went to Graham Zusi, who immediately serviced the ball to the opposite post where Opara had an open shot for his third goal.
“I’m not sure (Zusi) even knew he was on the ground before he crossed the ball in,” Opara said. “It was tough. I saw the goalie come in and I saw the post and I knew I had to head the ball.”
- Bryant Gumbel defends program and co-workers against lawsuit
- With no ambition and a revolt by fans, Newcastle in freefall
- US soccer to play Guatemala on July 3 at Nashville
- FIFA to study Israel-Palestinians dispute on election day
- Martins scores twice, Dempsey adds another as Sounders roll
- Chelsea wins Premier League title for 1st time in 5 years
- 5-year drought ends as Chelsea is champion of England again
- 1 man dead, 14 police hurt in football rioting in Poland
- Earthquakes-Dynamo Preview
- Juventus faces Real test in Champions League semifinals
- 30 people arrested in renewed soccer violence in Poland
- Ex-England striker Greaves in intensive care after stroke
- Nagamura heads in winner for Sporting KC, 1-0 over Chicago
- Barcelona faces Bayern, old coach Guardiola in CL semifinal
- Amid title joy, Mourinho concerned for dad after surgery
- Timbers, Whitecaps play to 0-0 draw in Valeri's return