Opara scores in 17th as Sporting KC beats Crew
Kansas City (15-10-6) entered with the best goals-against average in MLS (0.97) and prevented the Crew from attacking through the midfield as Jimmy Nielsen made his only save on Federico Higuain’s 30-yard free kick in the 77th minute. Nielsen’s 11th shutout moved KC to within two points of Eastern Conference leader New York.
“All 10 guys worked very hard in front of me and had huge discipline in the performance today,” Nielsen said. “We know Columbus has very dangerous guys up front. We wanted to avoid giving them any room to play in.”
The Crew (13-14-5) had a three-game winning streak stopped and are two points out of the final playoff spot in the East with two games left.
“We had very few answers whether it was a final pass, maybe the final dribble for somebody to step around somebody, maybe the run was offside,” Crew interim coach Brian Bliss said. “Whatever it was, we came up short in having an answer in the final third.”
Opara took advantage of an injury to the Crew’s Agustin Viana to score. Viana was hit in the head while defending Opara on a corner kick and went to the turf as the Crew’s Tyson Wahl cleared a shot in front of goal. The ball went to Graham Zusi, who immediately serviced the ball to the opposite post where Opara had an open shot for his third goal.
“I’m not sure (Zusi) even knew he was on the ground before he crossed the ball in,” Opara said. “It was tough. I saw the goalie come in and I saw the post and I knew I had to head the ball.”
- Shea, Williams, Morales start for US against Switzerland
- Cal soccer player died running across Los Angeles freeway
- No British soccer teams will play at Olympics in Rio
- Seattle and Western New York swap stars in major NWSL trade
- Former FIFA official Fernando loses appeal against life ban
- Turkish Cypriot soccer president: No going back on deal
- Real Salt Lake beats Toronto FC 2-1 on late goal
- Germany, Portugal boost Euro 2016 qualifying hopes
- CAF rejects Tunisia appeal against $50K fine but no ban
- European clubs win more money, influence in new UEFA deal
- Police: Missing college athlete died on Los Angeles freeway
- Russia Football Union appoints new anti-racism leader
- 3 Greek soccer players slightly hurt in Hungary taxi crash
- Alcoholism, violence and neglect: life as George Best's son
- Fire beat short-handed Union 1-0
- Apology for wrong anthem for El Salvador before game in US