Torres leads Chivas USA past DC United
Chivas’ win was its second in four games, matching the club’s total from its previous 20 matches.
After a scramble in front of the goal in the 51st minute, Edgar Mejia sent a cross into the middle of a congested penalty area. The ball deflected off two United players and fell to Torres, who fired a shot past goalie Bill Hamid.
Torres’ goal was his fifth in the last four games and he leads Chivas (6-15-7) in goals despite playing just nine games.
Chris Pontius played the final 25 minutes for United (3-19-5) in his first appearance since July 7. Pontius, who led DC in goals last season, missed seven games due to a hamstring injury.
- Former West Germany great Gerd Mueller has Alzheimer's
- South Sudan starts unlikely quest to reach 2018 World Cup
- Impact-Red Bulls Preview
- Dutch on verge of missing out on Euro 2016
- Spanish prosecutors call for arrest of Messi's father
- Chung says he is facing lengthy FIFA suspension
- Dos Santos to miss Mexico's playoff vs US
- Mourinho charged by English FA after getting Chelsea backing
- After defying quit calls, Blatter mediates between FAs
- FC Dallas-Whitecaps FC Preview
- Lukas Podolski out of Germany's final Euro 2016 qualifiers
- Aguero replaces Lewandowski atop AP Global Football 10
- Albania plans tough security for Euro qualifier with Serbia
- Cameron Carter-Vickers shines on soccer field for US
- Liverpool gives up on Rodgers experiment, but maybe too soon
- Swiss refuse to release Venezuelan FIFA suspect on bail