Torres leads Chivas USA past DC United
Chivas’ win was its second in four games, matching the club’s total from its previous 20 matches.
After a scramble in front of the goal in the 51st minute, Edgar Mejia sent a cross into the middle of a congested penalty area. The ball deflected off two United players and fell to Torres, who fired a shot past goalie Bill Hamid.
Torres’ goal was his fifth in the last four games and he leads Chivas (6-15-7) in goals despite playing just nine games.
Chris Pontius played the final 25 minutes for United (3-19-5) in his first appearance since July 7. Pontius, who led DC in goals last season, missed seven games due to a hamstring injury.
- Revolution-United Preview
- Bingham, Earthquakes extend Revolution's winless streak, 0-0
- Hope Solo suspended from US soccer team for 6 months
- Zardes, dos Santos lift Galaxy to 2-2 tie with Fire
- Hassoun Camara scores in 77th, Impact tie DC United 1-1
- More shocks in League Cup as Burnley, Middlesbrough ousted
- Robbie Keane to retire from Irish national team next week
- Premier League stars face early-season clampdown by refs
- New England 1, DC United 1
- Altidore, Giovinco help Toronto FC beat Orlando City 2-1
- Lodeiro's late goal helps Sounders extend streak, tie Dynamo
- Rookies Rosenberry, Herbers score, Union beats Crew 2-1
- Man City, Moenchengladbach cruise into Champions League
- Lineup and seedings set for Champions League groups draw
- Janmaat becomes Watford's 3rd signing in a week
- Earthquakes-Revolution preview