Torres leads Chivas USA past DC United
Chivas’ win was its second in four games, matching the club’s total from its previous 20 matches.
After a scramble in front of the goal in the 51st minute, Edgar Mejia sent a cross into the middle of a congested penalty area. The ball deflected off two United players and fell to Torres, who fired a shot past goalie Bill Hamid.
Torres’ goal was his fifth in the last four games and he leads Chivas (6-15-7) in goals despite playing just nine games.
Chris Pontius played the final 25 minutes for United (3-19-5) in his first appearance since July 7. Pontius, who led DC in goals last season, missed seven games due to a hamstring injury.
- Southampton-Manchester City Preview
- Del Nero quits FIFA executive committee, Sarney takes over
- FIFA donates 48 luxury watches to non-profit organization
- Leicester upstaging the big names in English Premier League
- UEFA confirms steroid positive test in Dinamo Zagreb case
- Ibrahimovic scores on CL return to Malmo, Juve beats City
- Rooney tells United to be more ruthless after 0-0 vs PSV
- PSG routs Malmo 5-0, advances in Champions League
- Stoke City-Sunderland Preview
- Madrid in mayhem heads north to face tiny but tough Eibar
- Vardy takes unlikely route to Premier League record book
- Qatar launches probe after rains exposed poor construction
- French authorities extend ban on traveling soccer fans
- Atletico beats Galatasaray 2-0, advances in Champions League
- Juventus beats Man City 1-0 to join it in knockout stage
- Moenchengladbach beats Sevilla 4-2 in Champions League