Torres leads Chivas USA past DC United
Chivas’ win was its second in four games, matching the club’s total from its previous 20 matches.
After a scramble in front of the goal in the 51st minute, Edgar Mejia sent a cross into the middle of a congested penalty area. The ball deflected off two United players and fell to Torres, who fired a shot past goalie Bill Hamid.
Torres’ goal was his fifth in the last four games and he leads Chivas (6-15-7) in goals despite playing just nine games.
Chris Pontius played the final 25 minutes for United (3-19-5) in his first appearance since July 7. Pontius, who led DC in goals last season, missed seven games due to a hamstring injury.
- Altidore scores twice as US rallies to beat Peru 2-1
- Germany moves top of Euro 2016 qualifying group
- Hungary, Romania draw 0-0 in Euro 2016 qualifier
- Denmark, Albania draw 0-0 in European qualifier
- Union-Earthquakes Preview
- Orlando City-Revolution Preview
- Porto wants Champions League donations to migrants
- Man United says Madrid 'clumsiness' at fault in De Gea spat
- FFA aware of security situation ahead of World Cup match
- Jermaine Jones makes 1st US start since February
- Goetze leads Germany to 3-1 win over Poland and top spot
- Toronto's Warner, Montreal's Cabrera suspended by MLS
- Toronto FC-Sounders Preview
- Italy's Serie B to introduce green cards for fair play
- Fire-Impact Preview
- St. Pauli to play Dortmund with motto 'Refugees Welcome'