Torres leads Chivas USA past DC United
Chivas’ win was its second in four games, matching the club’s total from its previous 20 matches.
After a scramble in front of the goal in the 51st minute, Edgar Mejia sent a cross into the middle of a congested penalty area. The ball deflected off two United players and fell to Torres, who fired a shot past goalie Bill Hamid.
Torres’ goal was his fifth in the last four games and he leads Chivas (6-15-7) in goals despite playing just nine games.
Chris Pontius played the final 25 minutes for United (3-19-5) in his first appearance since July 7. Pontius, who led DC in goals last season, missed seven games due to a hamstring injury.
- Man U's game vs. Earthquakes switched to Avaya Stadium
- UEFA tells Spanish league to accept 2022 World Cup dates
- Chile beats Peru 2-1 to reach Copa America final
- UEFA eases restrictions on club spending
- Czech football great Josef Masopust dies at 84
- Wright-Phillips sparks the Red Bulls rally, 3-1 over NYCFC
- Spanish league appeals FIFA switch of 2022 World Cup dates
- Iwabuchi lifts Japan to semis with 1-0 win over Australia
- Brad Davis scratched from US Gold Cup team; Garza added
- FIFA hopeful Bility says would step aside for Hayatou
- Dutch FA terminates Hiddink's contract as coach
- Goalkeeper Petr Cech joins Arsenal from Chelsea
- Fanendo Adi leads Timbers past Sounders, 4-1
- Argentina leads final 4 in Copa America semifinals
- FIFA election monitor urges Blatter to commit to going
- Earthquakes beat Galaxy 3-1 in California Clasico