Torres leads Chivas USA past DC United
Chivas’ win was its second in four games, matching the club’s total from its previous 20 matches.
After a scramble in front of the goal in the 51st minute, Edgar Mejia sent a cross into the middle of a congested penalty area. The ball deflected off two United players and fell to Torres, who fired a shot past goalie Bill Hamid.
Torres’ goal was his fifth in the last four games and he leads Chivas (6-15-7) in goals despite playing just nine games.
Chris Pontius played the final 25 minutes for United (3-19-5) in his first appearance since July 7. Pontius, who led DC in goals last season, missed seven games due to a hamstring injury.
- Real Madrid hires Rafa Benitez as coach to replace Ancelotti
- 5 Barcelona players to watch in Champions League final
- Interpol issues 'red notice' for 6 linked to FIFA probe
- Australian football chief says 2022 Qatar process not clean
- Global reaction to Sepp Blatter's decision to resign
- NY Cosmos defeat Cuba 4-1 in friendly amid detente
- Sponsors say Blatter resignation one step in FIFA reform
- Whitecaps FC-Impact Preview
- The Latest: Russia says 2018 World Cup won't be affected
- Platini cancels UEFA meeting on anti-Blatter tactics
- Portugal into Under-20 World Cup playoffs
- Key questions: Why did Blatter resign and what now for FIFA?
- Blatter's 17-year rule in soccer marked by growth, scandal
- Brazil great Zico considering running for FIFA president
- US routs New Zealand 4-0 to advance at Under-20 World Cup
- Blatter says he will resign as FIFA president