Bernier, DiVaio lead Impact past Revolution, 4-2
The Revolution played short-handed for the final 85 minutes after goalkeeper Matt Reis drew a red card. He was penalized for a hand tackle on DiVaio, who was attempting to retrieve a loose ball in the penalty box.
Bernier’s second penalty kick put Montreal ahead 2-1 in the 33rd minute after the Revolution’s Jose Goncalves received a yellow card for pushing Felipe Martins down inside the penalty box. Bernier picked the lower right side of the Revolution net for his fourth goal of the season.
DiVaio extended the lead in first-half stoppage time and made it 4-1 with his 17th goal in the 55th minute. Both times he took a cross from Hassoun Camara and sent a right-footed shot into the left corner.
Rowe netted his sixth goal of the season with a nice chip shot to the top right corner in the 75th minute for New England’s second goal.
Bernier put the Impact on the scoreboard first with a low drive to the left corner past Revolution reserve goalie Bobby Shuttleworth in the eighth minute.
Fagundez tied it in the 26th with his team-best 10th goal on an uncontested right footed shot into an empty Montreal net as the Impact were unable to clear the ball.
The match was played on natural grass, as the Gillette Stadium artificial turf was graded over to comply with FIFA standards for Tuesday’s exhibition game between Brazil and Portugal.
- Dutch on verge of missing out on Euro 2016
- Spanish prosecutors call for arrest of Messi's father
- Chung says he is facing lengthy FIFA suspension
- Dos Santos to miss Mexico's playoff vs US
- Mourinho charged by English FA after getting Chelsea backing
- Fire breaks out at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow
- Honduras gets semifinal spot CONCACAF Olympic qualifying
- Real Salt Lake eliminates Colorado Rapids from playoff race
- Aguero replaces Lewandowski atop AP Global Football 10
- Albania plans tough security for Euro qualifier with Serbia
- Cameron Carter-Vickers shines on soccer field for US
- Liverpool gives up on Rodgers experiment, but maybe too soon
- Swiss refuse to release Venezuelan FIFA suspect on bail
- Barrett scores in stoppage time, Sounders tie Galaxy 1-1
- Mexico beats Haiti to take Olympic qualifying semifinal spot
- FC Dallas clinches playoff berth, sweeps Dynamo with 4-1 win