Bernier, DiVaio lead Impact past Revolution, 4-2
The Revolution played short-handed for the final 85 minutes after goalkeeper Matt Reis drew a red card. He was penalized for a hand tackle on DiVaio, who was attempting to retrieve a loose ball in the penalty box.
Bernier’s second penalty kick put Montreal ahead 2-1 in the 33rd minute after the Revolution’s Jose Goncalves received a yellow card for pushing Felipe Martins down inside the penalty box. Bernier picked the lower right side of the Revolution net for his fourth goal of the season.
DiVaio extended the lead in first-half stoppage time and made it 4-1 with his 17th goal in the 55th minute. Both times he took a cross from Hassoun Camara and sent a right-footed shot into the left corner.
Rowe netted his sixth goal of the season with a nice chip shot to the top right corner in the 75th minute for New England’s second goal.
Bernier put the Impact on the scoreboard first with a low drive to the left corner past Revolution reserve goalie Bobby Shuttleworth in the eighth minute.
Fagundez tied it in the 26th with his team-best 10th goal on an uncontested right footed shot into an empty Montreal net as the Impact were unable to clear the ball.
The match was played on natural grass, as the Gillette Stadium artificial turf was graded over to comply with FIFA standards for Tuesday’s exhibition game between Brazil and Portugal.
- City wins as Champions League places look set in England
- Toronto FC-Orlando City Preview
- Watford back in Premier League after 8-year absence
- Accam scores early; Chicago beats 10-man NYCFC 1-0
- Manchester United-Everton Preview
- Garber: MLS plan in 6 months to expand beyond 24 teams
- D.C. United-Whitecaps FC Preview
- Union-Crew Preview
- PSG crushes Lille 6-1 to move 3 points ahead of Lyon
- Liverpool's Champions League hopes take another hit
- Friday's Sports In Brief
- Chelsea-Arsenal Preview
- Garber: MLS wants top Americans despite Klinsmann's view
- Real Salt Lake-Revolution Preview
- Sporting Kansas City-Dynamo Preview
- Europa League semifinals: Sevilla-Fiorentina, Napoli-Dnipro