Buddle scores in 75th to lead Rapids past Galaxy
Buddle rocketed a shot to the upper-left corner after Vicente Sanchez stripped Galaxy defender Todd Dunivant of the ball on Los Angeles’ left wing. The win kept Colorado (11-8-9) in fourth place in the Western Conference.
“It’s a huge, huge win,” said Rapids coach Oscar Pareja, whose team beat Los Angeles in two of three meetings this year. “At this point, you’ve got to get points, and (it’s great) to get them, especially away, especially against L.A., a rival. … The boys reacted today with such big character.”
The Galaxy (13-10-4) lost at home for the first time since early May, dropping from second to third in the West—two points behind second-place Seattle.
Los Angeles was missing four starters—forwards Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan, defender Omar Gonzalez and goalkeeper Jaime Penedo—away with their national teams for World Cup qualifying. Colorado was without Gabriel Torres, Penedo’s Panama teammate.
Los Angeles came close to scoring twice in the first half, but Rapids goalkeeper Clint Irwin made a leg save on Jack McBean’s point-blank header in the second minute and Marcelo Sarvas hit the underside of the crossbar from an abrupt angle in the 34th. Irwin knocked away a shot by McBean in the 54th and Dunivant fired high in the 60th.
Buddle came close to firing the Rapids ahead in the 63rd minute, slicing a shot just past the right post after Chris Klute did well to win a ball at the end line, but his next opportunity left Galaxy goalkeeper Brian Rowe no chance.
“I always like playing here and scoring goals here, especially in a game we needed the points,” said Buddle, whom Los Angeles traded away last offseason. “It was an ugly road win, but we needed it.”
Sarvas nearly pulled the Galaxy even three minutes after the goal, but Irwin tipped the shot away at the upper-right corner.
- After defying quit calls, Blatter mediates between FAs
- Former West Germany great Gerd Mueller has Alzheimer's
- South Sudan starts unlikely quest to reach 2018 World Cup
- Impact-Red Bulls Preview
- Dutch on verge of missing out on Euro 2016
- Spanish prosecutors call for arrest of Messi's father
- Chung says he is facing lengthy FIFA suspension
- Dos Santos to miss Mexico's playoff vs US
- Japan under pressure in Asian World Cup qualification
- Sao Paulo says Osorio resigns to coach Mexico national team
- FC Dallas-Whitecaps FC Preview
- Lukas Podolski out of Germany's final Euro 2016 qualifiers
- Aguero replaces Lewandowski atop AP Global Football 10
- Albania plans tough security for Euro qualifier with Serbia
- Cameron Carter-Vickers shines on soccer field for US
- Liverpool gives up on Rodgers experiment, but maybe too soon