Moffat’s late goal lifts Dynamo to tie with Fire
Moffat, a midfielder who had moved deep into the offensive play, took defender Corey Ashe’s backheel pass in the left side of the penalty area and shot it high over Chicago goalkeeper Sean Johnson’s outstretched left hand.
The tie, the second between the squads this season, moved Houston (10-8-7) into a tie with New England (10-9-7) for the fifth and final playoff position in the Eastern Conference. Each squad has 37 points, and Houston has a match in hand. Chicago (10-10-5) has 35 points.
Until Moffat’s goal, the Dynamo had only a few good chances. Johnson batted away a hard shot from Andrew Driver in the 86th minute, his third save of the game, and most difficult since the fifth minute, when he stretched to make a toe save on Will Bruin’s low shot.
Fire forward Mike Magee started Chicago’s scoring play with a corner kick from the left in the 36th minute. The ball flew over the head of jumping midfielder Jeff Larentowicz and hit defender Bobby Boswell in the shoulder, deflecting in from about eight yards out.
While it went in off an opposing player, the score climaxed a furious sequence that saw Chicago take four shots at Houston from no more than 16 yards in less than three minutes. The first, by Chris Rolfe, skidded wide of the net, but Hall was forced to make saves on Magee and Dilly Duka, the latter stop setting up the corner kick.
It was Chicago’s first goal scored directly off a corner this season.
- FIFA presidential contender Chung calls Blatter 'hypocrite'
- Mora helps Cuba tie Canada, 2-2
- Japan under pressure in Asian World Cup qualification
- Sao Paulo says Osorio resigns to coach Mexico national team
- FC Dallas-Whitecaps FC Preview
- Lukas Podolski out of Germany's final Euro 2016 qualifiers
- Aguero replaces Lewandowski atop AP Global Football 10
- Albania plans tough security for Euro qualifier with Serbia
- Americans use 2nd-half surge to beat Panama 4-0
- After defying quit calls, Blatter mediates between FAs
- Former West Germany great Gerd Mueller has Alzheimer's
- South Sudan starts unlikely quest to reach 2018 World Cup
- Impact-Red Bulls Preview
- Dutch on verge of missing out on Euro 2016
- Spanish prosecutors call for arrest of Messi's father
- Chung says he is facing lengthy FIFA suspension