Zusi scores in 88th as Sporting KC beat Rapids
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP)—Graham Zusi scored in the 88th minute to lift Sporting Kansas City to a 2-1 victory over the Colorado Rapids on Saturday night and into a three-way tie for first place in the Eastern Conference.
Benny Feilhaber also scored for Sporting (12-9-6), which broke a two-match shutout loss streak and pulled even with Montreal and New York atop the East.
Feilhaber scored from 30 yards in the 33rd minute to put Kansas City up 1-0. After center forward Dom Dwyer—making his first league start—beat Colorado’s Hendry Thomas to a loose ball, Feilhaber’s right-footed shot curled inside the left post, breaking Sporting’s goalless streak at 213 minutes.
Edson Buddle, who entered the match as a substitute in the 70th, tied it seven minutes later for the Rapids (10-8-9), who snapped a nine-match unbeaten streak.
Buddle tracked down a deflected ball 25 yards from goal, and his low shot deflected off center back Matt Besler’s foot and bounced inside the right post.
- For US, roster spots up for grabs in Friday match vs Peru
- Villas-Boas banned 6 games in Russia for striking official
- Chung says AFC broke election rules ahead of FIFA vote
- Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck has surgery on left knee
- Chile rises in top 10 of FIFA rankings led by Argentina
- Soccer players suspended for a game after blackface incident
- Carrard panel starts reform work for crisis-hit FIFA
- Uruguay set to rescind rights deal over bribery probe
- Unsung Iceland and Wales nearly qualified for Euro 2016
- German soccer clubs, fans rush to support migrants
- FIFA reforms panel makes little progress at 1st meeting
- Derby's American owners sell to 'Candy Crush' entrepreneur
- FIFA World Rankings List
- England a magnet for players as clubs flex financial muscle
- Government minister takes over Russian football
- FIFA scandal becomes exhibit at Mob Museum in Las Vegas