Zusi scores in 88th as Sporting KC beat Rapids
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP)—Graham Zusi scored in the 88th minute to lift Sporting Kansas City to a 2-1 victory over the Colorado Rapids on Saturday night and into a three-way tie for first place in the Eastern Conference.
Benny Feilhaber also scored for Sporting (12-9-6), which broke a two-match shutout loss streak and pulled even with Montreal and New York atop the East.
Feilhaber scored from 30 yards in the 33rd minute to put Kansas City up 1-0. After center forward Dom Dwyer—making his first league start—beat Colorado’s Hendry Thomas to a loose ball, Feilhaber’s right-footed shot curled inside the left post, breaking Sporting’s goalless streak at 213 minutes.
Edson Buddle, who entered the match as a substitute in the 70th, tied it seven minutes later for the Rapids (10-8-9), who snapped a nine-match unbeaten streak.
Buddle tracked down a deflected ball 25 yards from goal, and his low shot deflected off center back Matt Besler’s foot and bounced inside the right post.
- Bradley replaces Dempsey as US captain for CONCACAF Gold Cup
- Red Bulls defender Duvall has surgery on a broken leg
- D.C. United-Sounders Preview
- Turmoil in Russian football as government limits foreigners
- China's Evergrande Taobao team applies for stock listing
- US files formal extradition request for 7 FIFA officials
- Blatter says he has 'clear conscience' despite FIFA probes
- US heads to World Cup final with 2-0 win over Germany
- Some of the saddest own goals in soccer
- Fire-Dynamo Preview
- Madrid buys back Lucas Vazquez from Espanyol
- UEFA confirms Rubin Kazan to get Europa League place
- Homes of Dinamo Zagreb bosses raided by Croatian police
- Chicharito injures collarbone as Mexico ties Honduras
- With no Blatter, Hayatou to present trophy at Women's WCup
- Messi & Argentina shining together, closer to elusive title