Zusi scores in 88th as Sporting KC beat Rapids
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP)—Graham Zusi scored in the 88th minute to lift Sporting Kansas City to a 2-1 victory over the Colorado Rapids on Saturday night and into a three-way tie for first place in the Eastern Conference.
Benny Feilhaber also scored for Sporting (12-9-6), which broke a two-match shutout loss streak and pulled even with Montreal and New York atop the East.
Feilhaber scored from 30 yards in the 33rd minute to put Kansas City up 1-0. After center forward Dom Dwyer—making his first league start—beat Colorado’s Hendry Thomas to a loose ball, Feilhaber’s right-footed shot curled inside the left post, breaking Sporting’s goalless streak at 213 minutes.
Edson Buddle, who entered the match as a substitute in the 70th, tied it seven minutes later for the Rapids (10-8-9), who snapped a nine-match unbeaten streak.
Buddle tracked down a deflected ball 25 yards from goal, and his low shot deflected off center back Matt Besler’s foot and bounced inside the right post.
- San Jose beats Houston 1-0 in Dominic Kinnear's return
- The Latest: Juventus beats Real Madrid 2-1 in semifinal
- Galaxy-Real Salt Lake Preview
- Danish man sentenced in 2010 football match-fixing case
- Agent: Greaves conscious but unable to speak after stroke
- US soccer to play Guatemala on July 3 at Nashville
- Earthquakes-Dynamo Preview
- Juventus faces Real test in Champions League semifinals
- Juventus beats Real Madrid 2-1 in 1st leg of CL semifinal
- Israel accuses Palestinians of politicizing in FIFA call
- Guardiola to face Messi and Barcelona in Champions League
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Chelsea lead AP Global Football 10
- More violence in Poland after autopsy of fan shot by police
- Bryant Gumbel defends program and co-workers against lawsuit
- With no ambition and a revolt by fans, Newcastle in freefall
- 30 people arrested in renewed soccer violence in Poland