Zusi scores in 88th as Sporting KC beat Rapids
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP)—Graham Zusi scored in the 88th minute to lift Sporting Kansas City to a 2-1 victory over the Colorado Rapids on Saturday night and into a three-way tie for first place in the Eastern Conference.
Benny Feilhaber also scored for Sporting (12-9-6), which broke a two-match shutout loss streak and pulled even with Montreal and New York atop the East.
Feilhaber scored from 30 yards in the 33rd minute to put Kansas City up 1-0. After center forward Dom Dwyer—making his first league start—beat Colorado’s Hendry Thomas to a loose ball, Feilhaber’s right-footed shot curled inside the left post, breaking Sporting’s goalless streak at 213 minutes.
Edson Buddle, who entered the match as a substitute in the 70th, tied it seven minutes later for the Rapids (10-8-9), who snapped a nine-match unbeaten streak.
Buddle tracked down a deflected ball 25 yards from goal, and his low shot deflected off center back Matt Besler’s foot and bounced inside the right post.
- Michel Platini confirms he will run for FIFA president
- FIFA fines Zimbabwe for missing women's Olympic qualifier
- Red Bulls sign Wright-Phillips, brother of team's top scorer
- Embattled Mexico soccer coach 'El Piojo' Herrera fired after claim he punched journalist
- Sepp Blatter deserves the Nobel Prize, Vladimir Putin says
- Mexico national team coach allegedly hits TV journalist
- Shannon Boxx and Lauren Holiday to retire after victory tour
- FIFA tweaks appointment rules for reforms task force
- Run-in with reporter triggered Mexico coach Herrera's ouster
- Tottenham Hotspur-All-Stars Preview
- Mob Museum in Las Vegas to open FIFA exhibit
- AP Sources: Michel Platini will run for FIFA president
- Beasley still interested in playing for national team
- US plays Aruba or St Vincent in World Cup qualifying opener
- Impact acquire former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba
- DeAndre Yedlin on Tottenham roster for MLS All-Star Game