Agudelo scores to lift Revolution over Fire 2-0
FOXBORO, Mass. (AP)—Juan Agudelo returned to the lineup for the Revolution after a two-month injury absence and scored a dazzling goal in the 54th minute to lead New England to a 2-0 victory over the Chicago Fire on Saturday night.
The 20-year old Agudelo took a long, looping pass from midfielder Chris Tierney and nudged a one-touch volley over on-charging Chicago goalie Sean Johnson, while Fire defender Bakary Soumare was unable to keep the ball from crossing the goal line with a dive into the net. Agudelo missed eight matches while recovering from a right knee sprain.
New England ended a two-match winless and scoreless streak, improving to 9-9-6 on the season, 5-4-3 at home. Chicago (9-10-4) had its four-match (3-0-1) unbeaten streak end, being shut out on the road for the fifth time this season. The Fire had scored in 12 consecutive matches.
Chicago, which has scored just eight goals in 11 (2-6-3) road matches this season, nearly took the lead in the 18th minute when Mike Magee’s shot from the right shot banged off the goal post and his rebound shot was clutched by New England goalie Matt Reis, making his first start since March 23.
Agudelo’s goal snapped a scoreless streak of 261 minutes by New England and was his fourth goal in six matches with New England since being acquired from Chivas USA in May. Agudelo signed a contract with Stoke City of the English Premiership and will join the Potters in January.
- For US, roster spots up for grabs in Friday match vs Peru
- Villas-Boas banned 6 games in Russia for striking official
- Chung says AFC broke election rules ahead of FIFA vote
- Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck has surgery on left knee
- Chile rises in top 10 of FIFA rankings led by Argentina
- Soccer players suspended for a game after blackface incident
- Carrard panel starts reform work for crisis-hit FIFA
- Uruguay set to rescind rights deal over bribery probe
- Unsung Iceland and Wales nearly qualified for Euro 2016
- German soccer clubs, fans rush to support migrants
- FIFA reforms panel makes little progress at 1st meeting
- Derby's American owners sell to 'Candy Crush' entrepreneur
- FIFA World Rankings List
- England a magnet for players as clubs flex financial muscle
- Government minister takes over Russian football
- FIFA scandal becomes exhibit at Mob Museum in Las Vegas