Keane scores 3 goals to lead Galaxy past Salt Lake
Keane scored in the 56th, 67th and 86th minutes to help the Galaxy (11-9-4) pull four points behind Salt Lake and tighten an eight-team battle for five West playoff berths. The top seven teams are separated by eight points, with San Jose another three points back.
Omar Gonzalez, who signed a designated player contract this week, also scored for Los Angeles. The Galaxy could had two more—but those were stopped on the goal line, first by Chris Wingert on Landon Donovan two minutes after Keane’s first goal and by Kenny Mansally on Todd Dunivant near the end.
“We played well the whole 90 (minutes),” said Donovan, whose corner kick Gonzalez headed home in the 75th minute for a 3-1 lead. “We probably deserved a 4- or 5-0 game, but real happy with how we performed.”
Keane got his 10th goal to complete his hat trick in the 86th, lifting the ball over rushing goalkeeper Nick Rimando.
“What can I say,” Salt Lake coach Jason Kreis said. “I think (Los Angeles is) extremely effective in what they do, and if they’re on their game, sometimes you’re just gonna have to say they’re the better team, and I think that’s what we have to say tonight.”
Robbie Findley scored in the 90th for Salt Lake.
- Optimism at Man United tempered by absent striking quality
- Accam, Maloney score, Fire beat FC Dallas 1-0
- Arsenal beats Chelsea 1-0 in Community Shield at Wembley
- LA Galaxy ends road skid with 3-1 win at Colorado
- Davies leads Revs over 10-man Toronto FC 3-1
- United tops Real Salt Lake in wild affair, 6-4
- Timbers-Earthquakes Preview
- FC Dallas-Fire Preview
- Russian club slams 'bigotry' by rival fans
- Portland Timbers, Earthquakes play to a scoreless draw
- Kah scores 2 goals to lead Vancouver past Seattle, 3-0
- Dynamo score late for 1-1 draw with Sporting KC
- Cyle Larin scores twice, Orlando City beats Crew 5-1
- Wright-Phillips brothers connect in Red Bulls' 3-1 win
- Impact beat NYCFC 3-2 in Frank Lampard's MLS debut
- Red Bulls-Union Preview