Keane scores 3 goals to lead Galaxy past Salt Lake
Keane scored in the 56th, 67th and 86th minutes to help the Galaxy (11-9-4) pull four points behind Salt Lake and tighten an eight-team battle for five West playoff berths. The top seven teams are separated by eight points, with San Jose another three points back.
Omar Gonzalez, who signed a designated player contract this week, also scored for Los Angeles. The Galaxy could had two more—but those were stopped on the goal line, first by Chris Wingert on Landon Donovan two minutes after Keane’s first goal and by Kenny Mansally on Todd Dunivant near the end.
“We played well the whole 90 (minutes),” said Donovan, whose corner kick Gonzalez headed home in the 75th minute for a 3-1 lead. “We probably deserved a 4- or 5-0 game, but real happy with how we performed.”
Keane got his 10th goal to complete his hat trick in the 86th, lifting the ball over rushing goalkeeper Nick Rimando.
“What can I say,” Salt Lake coach Jason Kreis said. “I think (Los Angeles is) extremely effective in what they do, and if they’re on their game, sometimes you’re just gonna have to say they’re the better team, and I think that’s what we have to say tonight.”
Robbie Findley scored in the 90th for Salt Lake.
- Ibrahimovic scores on CL return to Malmo, Juve beats City
- Rooney tells United to be more ruthless after 0-0 vs PSV
- PSG routs Malmo 5-0, advances in Champions League
- Ronaldo stars as Real Madrid beats Shakhtar 4-3
- Jimenez double rescues draw for Benfica at Astana
- While Madrid remains in turmoil, Barcelona keeps on thriving
- Premier League cancels Belgium tournament over terror alert
- Suspected match-fixer Dan Tan released from Singapore jail
- Atletico beats Galatasaray 2-0, advances in Champions League
- Juventus beats Man City 1-0 to join it in knockout stage
- Moenchengladbach beats Sevilla 4-2 in Champions League
- Schuerrle steers Wolfsburg to 2-0 win over CSKA Moscow
- United held 0-0 by battling PSV in Champions League
- Chile FF president in Miami after resigning amid FIFA probe
- Dutch soccer club president quits after player deals leaked
- Dynamo Kiev gets empty stadium order for racist fan attacks