Keane scores 3 goals to lead Galaxy past Salt Lake
Keane scored in the 56th, 67th and 86th minutes to help the Galaxy (11-9-4) pull four points behind Salt Lake and tighten an eight-team battle for five West playoff berths. The top seven teams are separated by eight points, with San Jose another three points back.
Omar Gonzalez, who signed a designated player contract this week, also scored for Los Angeles. The Galaxy could had two more—but those were stopped on the goal line, first by Chris Wingert on Landon Donovan two minutes after Keane’s first goal and by Kenny Mansally on Todd Dunivant near the end.
“We played well the whole 90 (minutes),” said Donovan, whose corner kick Gonzalez headed home in the 75th minute for a 3-1 lead. “We probably deserved a 4- or 5-0 game, but real happy with how we performed.”
Keane got his 10th goal to complete his hat trick in the 86th, lifting the ball over rushing goalkeeper Nick Rimando.
“What can I say,” Salt Lake coach Jason Kreis said. “I think (Los Angeles is) extremely effective in what they do, and if they’re on their game, sometimes you’re just gonna have to say they’re the better team, and I think that’s what we have to say tonight.”
Robbie Findley scored in the 90th for Salt Lake.
- Chelsea-Arsenal Preview
- Garber: MLS wants top Americans despite Klinsmann's view
- Real Salt Lake-Revolution Preview
- Sporting Kansas City-Dynamo Preview
- Europa League semifinals: Sevilla-Fiorentina, Napoli-Dnipro
- Leicester City-Burnley Preview
- Sevilla, Fiorentina, Dnipro, Napoli make Europa League semis
- MLS suspends players from NYC, Seattle, Colorado
- Manchester United-Everton Preview
- Garber: MLS plan in 6 months to expand beyond 24 teams
- D.C. United-Whitecaps FC Preview
- Union-Crew Preview
- Swansea City-Newcastle United Preview
- Tottenham Hotspur-Southampton Preview
- West Ham United-Queens Park Rangers Preview
- FIFA rejects lawmakers' call to re-run Qatar World Cup vote