Revolution use 2 late goals to stop Crew 2-0
Goncalves in the 91st minute got his first career goal by heading a corner kick from Lee Nguyen. The ball skipped past goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum as the Revolution’s A.J. Soares provided a distraction in front.
“It was a good ball from Lee at the back post,” Goncalves said. “I was in a great position. I was just thinking, `I will not miss it.”’
Three minutes later, Nguyen took advantage of a turnover to pass to Fagundez for his sixth score of the season.
“We had quality chances,” Columbus coach Robert Warzycha said. “We didn’t allow the other team to create as many chances as they are used to. They didn’t create too much until they scored the goals.”
New England (7-7-6) ended a two-game losing streak that included a 2-1 loss at Colorado on Wednesday when Goncalves’ own goal was the difference.
“The other night he was disappointed,” New England coach Jay Heaps said of the defender. “I knew he was carrying this team tonight. He wanted to win this game more than anything. You could tell the way he defended, the way he played all night. To get the winner was a special thing for him.”
New England entered the game tied for the stingiest defense in MLS and recorded its 11th shutout. Revolution goalie Bobby Shuttleworth has nine of them after making two saves. The Crew (6-9-5) was blanked for the fifth time.
- Run-in with reporter triggered Mexico coach Herrera's ouster
- Red Bulls sign Wright-Phillips, brother of team's top scorer
- Embattled Mexico soccer coach 'El Piojo' Herrera fired after claim he punched journalist
- Sepp Blatter deserves the Nobel Prize, Vladimir Putin says
- Mexico national team coach allegedly hits TV journalist
- Shannon Boxx and Lauren Holiday to retire after victory tour
- FIFA tweaks appointment rules for reforms task force
- Landon Donovan stays connected to the game
- Tottenham Hotspur-All-Stars Preview
- Mob Museum in Las Vegas to open FIFA exhibit
- AP Sources: Michel Platini will run for FIFA president
- Beasley still interested in playing for national team
- US plays Aruba or St Vincent in World Cup qualifying opener
- Impact acquire former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba
- DeAndre Yedlin on Tottenham roster for MLS All-Star Game
- Trinidad extradition hearing delayed for ex-FIFA VP Warner