Revolution use 2 late goals to stop Crew 2-0
Goncalves in the 91st minute got his first career goal by heading a corner kick from Lee Nguyen. The ball skipped past goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum as the Revolution’s A.J. Soares provided a distraction in front.
“It was a good ball from Lee at the back post,” Goncalves said. “I was in a great position. I was just thinking, `I will not miss it.”’
Three minutes later, Nguyen took advantage of a turnover to pass to Fagundez for his sixth score of the season.
“We had quality chances,” Columbus coach Robert Warzycha said. “We didn’t allow the other team to create as many chances as they are used to. They didn’t create too much until they scored the goals.”
New England (7-7-6) ended a two-game losing streak that included a 2-1 loss at Colorado on Wednesday when Goncalves’ own goal was the difference.
“The other night he was disappointed,” New England coach Jay Heaps said of the defender. “I knew he was carrying this team tonight. He wanted to win this game more than anything. You could tell the way he defended, the way he played all night. To get the winner was a special thing for him.”
New England entered the game tied for the stingiest defense in MLS and recorded its 11th shutout. Revolution goalie Bobby Shuttleworth has nine of them after making two saves. The Crew (6-9-5) was blanked for the fifth time.
- Mexico salvages 3-3 tie with Trinidad and Tobago
- Messi scores twice, Argentina beats Bolivia 7-0
- Germany moves top of Euro 2016 qualifying group
- Hungary, Romania draw 0-0 in Euro 2016 qualifier
- Denmark, Albania draw 0-0 in European qualifier
- Union-Earthquakes Preview
- Orlando City-Revolution Preview
- Porto wants Champions League donations to migrants
- Altidore scores twice as US rallies to beat Peru 2-1
- FFA aware of security situation ahead of World Cup match
- Jermaine Jones makes 1st US start since February
- Goetze leads Germany to 3-1 win over Poland and top spot
- Toronto's Warner, Montreal's Cabrera suspended by MLS
- Toronto FC-Sounders Preview
- Italy's Serie B to introduce green cards for fair play
- Fire-Impact Preview