Torres lifts Chivas USA past Toronto FC
It was Torres’ first game for Chivas USA after he was acquired last week on loan from Club Deportivo Guadalajara.
The 20-year-old forward got a pass from Tristan Bowen in the 79th minute, cut inside against three defenders, and then fired at the goal from outside Toronto’s box. The ball deflected off defender Gale Agbossoumonde and bounced inside the right post.
Toronto (2-10-7) has won just once in its last 17 games.
Torres also had a great scoring chance in the 60th minute, with a look at an open net after Bowen’s low cross from the right wing got past three defenders. Torres hesitated, and goalkeeper Joe Bendik somehow got a piece of the ball, deflecting it away.
Former U.S. national team captain Carlos Bocanegra also made his first appearance for Chivas. He was signed on July 1 after nearly a decade in Europe.
- French PM says Benzema has no place on national team
- Marin having trouble coming up with $1M cash bond
- LA Galaxy's Keane on MLS Best XI for 4th straight year
- Head of Brazilian federation subject of senate investigation
- Neymar on Ballon D'Or shortlist alongside Messi, Ronaldo
- Adi and Melano score, Timbers tie FC Dallas 2-2 to advance
- Draws for both Arsenal, Chelsea but only 1 team is satisfied
- Milner penalty gives Liverpool 1-0 win over Swansea
- Manchester City gets $400M Chinese investment deal
- Shades of Maradona as Higuain leads Napoli to top of Serie A
- Carli Lloyd finalist for FIFA Women's Player of the Year
- Manchester City to face Hull in League Cup quarterfinals
- Crew reach MLS Cup with 2-1 aggregate win over Red Bulls
- Bale, Ronaldo ease pressure on Benitez in Madrid win
- Arsenal held 1-1 by Norwich as Sanchez comes off injured
- Tottenham extends unbeaten run by holding Chelsea 0-0