Martinez scores, ‘Quakes beat Sounders 1-0
Martinez, a 31-year-old midfielder who joined San Jose prior to this season, broke open a scoreless match in the 48th minute. The former Honduran international collected a ball from teammate Steven Lenhart, cut inside Seattle defender DeAndre Yedlin and fired from 12 yards.
Weber, a former Earthquake, joined Seattle on loan from Phoenix FC of the USL Professional Division earlier this week after veteran backup Marcus Hahnemann was ruled out due to a hamstring injury.
San Jose (6-9-6) broke a two-match losing streak by posting just its second shutout of the season. Without leading scorer Obafemi Martins, out because of a calf problem, Seattle’s offense generated just one shot on goal—an easily saved 83rd-minute header from Eddie Johnson.
Weber kept Seattle (7-7-3) in the match with a one-on-one save against Lenhart in the 54th minute, but the Sounders couldn’t take advantage and fell to .500 for the first time since May 26.
Seattle had to use all three of its substitutions on injuries. In addition to Weber replacing Gspurning, midfielder Brad Evans went out with bruised ribs in the 32nd minute and defender Djimi Traore was replaced in the 53rd after several hard collisions.
Gspurning helped keep the match scoreless with a diving stop in the 14th minute to stop what would have been a spectacular goal from Martinez, who let fly with a strong right-footed bicycle attempt from the penalty spot.
Four minutes later, Gspurning scrambled to intercept a header from Alan Gordon, who was looking to cut Martinez’s left-wing cross against the grain to the back post. Gspurning appeared to injure his left wrist on the play when Lenhart caught him with a late challenge.
- Goals galore in Champs Lg as Barcelona and Bayern advance
- Chelsea beats Maccabi Tel Aviv 4-0 in Champions League
- Dzyuba powers Zenit to 2-0 over Valencia in Champs League
- Bayern beats Olympiakos 4-0, wins Group F in Champs League
- Dynamo Kiev upsets FC Porto 2-0, in Champions League
- New York Red Bulls' Jesse Marsch voted MLS Coach of the Year
- FIFA ethics committee seeks life ban against Michel Platini
- Barcelona dominates AP Global Football 10 after Madrid win
- Arsenal's Champs League hopes alive with 3-0 win over Zagreb
- Messi scores first goals after injury, Barca routs Roma 6-1
- Mehmedi rescues draw for Leverkusen at BATE
- Gent keeps Champions League hopes up by winning 2-1 at Lyon
- NASL's Armada hire former US goalkeeper Tony Meola as coach
- Chicago Fire of MLS hires Valjko Paunovic as coach
- Quotes from this week's AP Global Football 10
- French and Russian authorities to increase fan zone security