Martinez scores, ‘Quakes beat Sounders 1-0
Martinez, a 31-year-old midfielder who joined San Jose prior to this season, broke open a scoreless match in the 48th minute. The former Honduran international collected a ball from teammate Steven Lenhart, cut inside Seattle defender DeAndre Yedlin and fired from 12 yards.
Weber, a former Earthquake, joined Seattle on loan from Phoenix FC of the USL Professional Division earlier this week after veteran backup Marcus Hahnemann was ruled out due to a hamstring injury.
San Jose (6-9-6) broke a two-match losing streak by posting just its second shutout of the season. Without leading scorer Obafemi Martins, out because of a calf problem, Seattle’s offense generated just one shot on goal—an easily saved 83rd-minute header from Eddie Johnson.
Weber kept Seattle (7-7-3) in the match with a one-on-one save against Lenhart in the 54th minute, but the Sounders couldn’t take advantage and fell to .500 for the first time since May 26.
Seattle had to use all three of its substitutions on injuries. In addition to Weber replacing Gspurning, midfielder Brad Evans went out with bruised ribs in the 32nd minute and defender Djimi Traore was replaced in the 53rd after several hard collisions.
Gspurning helped keep the match scoreless with a diving stop in the 14th minute to stop what would have been a spectacular goal from Martinez, who let fly with a strong right-footed bicycle attempt from the penalty spot.
Four minutes later, Gspurning scrambled to intercept a header from Alan Gordon, who was looking to cut Martinez’s left-wing cross against the grain to the back post. Gspurning appeared to injure his left wrist on the play when Lenhart caught him with a late challenge.
- Martins scores twice, Dempsey adds another as Sounders roll
- Chelsea wins Premier League title for 1st time in 5 years
- 5-year drought ends as Chelsea is champion of England again
- 1 man dead, 14 police hurt in football rioting in Poland
- Gordon pulls Galaxy to 1-1 draw with Rapids
- Espindola goal, assist sparks DC United's 2-0 win over Crew
- Toronto FC wraps up 7-game road swing with win over Union
- Fire-Sporting Kansas City Preview
- Nagamura heads in winner for Sporting KC, 1-0 over Chicago
- Barcelona faces Bayern, old coach Guardiola in CL semifinal
- Amid title joy, Mourinho concerned for dad after surgery
- Timbers, Whitecaps play to 0-0 draw in Valeri's return
- Revolution hand Red Bulls first loss of season, 2-1
- Arsenal-Hull City Preview
- Juventus seals 4th successive Serie A title with 1-0 win
- Sounders-New York City FC Preview