Sarvas, Jimenez score in 2nd half to lead Galaxy
Sarvas nodded home a cross from Robbie Keane in the 65th minute, and Jimenez slotted a feed from Robbie Rogers in the 80th for the Galaxy (9-7-3), who dominated the game and vaulted from fifth to third in the Western Conference, four points behind Real Salt Lake.
Second-place FC Dallas (8-4-7) would have pulled even on points with RSL with a win.
“It was close (to a complete performance),” Galaxy coach Bruce Arena said. “Not quite there, but tonight was one of our better games on the year. I thought we played very well at both ends of the field.
“Our passing was much improved, our movement off the ball was very good. We again created chances, finished a couple tonight, could have finished even more. Rock-solid defending against a team that is outstanding.”
Los Angeles, the two-time reigning MLS Cup champion, outshot Dallas 22-6 and created nearly a dozen scoring chances. Dallas tested goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini just once, with Jackson Goncalves’ dipping shot from 28 yards forcing a diving save in the 76th minute.
“We basically just got outworked,” Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman said. “We didn’t create enough chances, which causes you problems. We didn’t have enough people running off the ball. We didn’t win very many tackles.”
Rogers, who played the full 90 minutes for the first time since signing with the Galaxy in late May, twice came close to scoring his first goal for the club. He fired at Dallas goalkeeper Troy Perkins from an Omar Gonzalez through ball in the 18th minute, and a drive in the 49th that got through Perkins but was cleared off the line by Jair Benitez.
Rookie Gyasi Zardes had the best chance before the goal, a header four minutes into the second half that Perkins dived to repel.
Keane earned assists on both goals, giving him an MLS-best eight this season in just 11 appearances. He set up Sarvas’ header, taking a pass on the left flank from Gonzalez, beating Dallas defender Stephen Keel to the byline, and chipping toward the far post.
On the second goal, Keane fed Rogers at the left byline for a pass to the middle of the box to Jimenez.
- Ibrahimovic scores on CL return to Malmo, Juve beats City
- Rooney tells United to be more ruthless after 0-0 vs PSV
- PSG routs Malmo 5-0, advances in Champions League
- Ronaldo stars as Real Madrid beats Shakhtar 4-3
- Jimenez double rescues draw for Benfica at Astana
- While Madrid remains in turmoil, Barcelona keeps on thriving
- Premier League cancels Belgium tournament over terror alert
- Suspected match-fixer Dan Tan released from Singapore jail
- Atletico beats Galatasaray 2-0, advances in Champions League
- Juventus beats Man City 1-0 to join it in knockout stage
- Moenchengladbach beats Sevilla 4-2 in Champions League
- Schuerrle steers Wolfsburg to 2-0 win over CSKA Moscow
- United held 0-0 by battling PSV in Champions League
- Chile FF president in Miami after resigning amid FIFA probe
- Dutch soccer club president quits after player deals leaked
- Dynamo Kiev gets empty stadium order for racist fan attacks