Salinas, Gordon help Earthquakes beat Galaxy 3-2
Salinas knocked in a loose rebound in the 92nd minute and Gordon scored on a header a minute later to give San Jose (5-7-6) a second comeback victory in two seasons against the Galaxy at Stanford. The Earthquakes came from two goals down to beat LA 4-3 last June 30.
Gordon scored his first goal of the season in the 68th minute to pull San Jose to 2-1. The Earthquakes’ chances looked dire after defender Victor Bernardez saw two yellow cards in the space of eight minutes and was sent off in the 77th minute, leaving San Jose down to 10 players.
Gordon got the game-winner moments later off a chipped cross from just inside Los Angeles’ penalty area by San Jose midfielder Sam Cronin.
Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane assisted on both goals for the Galaxy, but L.A. was left to deal with failed opportunities after Bernardez’s ejection, especially an 88th-minute save by Busch on Jimenez.
A prone Cudicini blocked a 50th-minute rebound shot from 8 yards by San Jose midfielder Marvin Chavez. The veteran keeper, who joined LA this year, was unable to come up with the critical saves in the dying minutes, however.
- Blatter's 17-year rule in soccer marked by growth, scandal
- Brazil great Zico considering running for FIFA president
- Sponsors say Blatter resignation one step in FIFA reform
- Whitecaps FC-Impact Preview
- Blatter says he will resign as FIFA president
- Potential candidates to replace Blatter as FIFA president
- Fire-D.C. United Preview
- A look at FIFA President Sepp Blatter
- NY Cosmos defeat Cuba 4-1 in friendly amid detente
- Key questions: Why did Blatter resign and what now for FIFA?
- US routs New Zealand 4-0 to advance at Under-20 World Cup
- Global reaction to Sepp Blatter's decision to resign
- Crew-Union Preview
- Prince Ali: Blatter's FIFA resignation was the 'right move'
- FIFA says Valcke not behind $10M payment in corruption probe
- Text of statement by FIFA official Domenico Scala