Salinas, Gordon help Earthquakes beat Galaxy 3-2
Salinas knocked in a loose rebound in the 92nd minute and Gordon scored on a header a minute later to give San Jose (5-7-6) a second comeback victory in two seasons against the Galaxy at Stanford. The Earthquakes came from two goals down to beat LA 4-3 last June 30.
Gordon scored his first goal of the season in the 68th minute to pull San Jose to 2-1. The Earthquakes’ chances looked dire after defender Victor Bernardez saw two yellow cards in the space of eight minutes and was sent off in the 77th minute, leaving San Jose down to 10 players.
Gordon got the game-winner moments later off a chipped cross from just inside Los Angeles’ penalty area by San Jose midfielder Sam Cronin.
Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane assisted on both goals for the Galaxy, but L.A. was left to deal with failed opportunities after Bernardez’s ejection, especially an 88th-minute save by Busch on Jimenez.
A prone Cudicini blocked a 50th-minute rebound shot from 8 yards by San Jose midfielder Marvin Chavez. The veteran keeper, who joined LA this year, was unable to come up with the critical saves in the dying minutes, however.
- With no ambition and a revolt by fans, Newcastle in freefall
- 30 people arrested in renewed soccer violence in Poland
- FIFA to study Israel-Palestinians dispute on election day
- Martins scores twice, Dempsey adds another as Sounders roll
- Chelsea wins Premier League title for 1st time in 5 years
- 5-year drought ends as Chelsea is champion of England again
- 1 man dead, 14 police hurt in football rioting in Poland
- Gordon pulls Galaxy to 1-1 draw with Rapids
- US soccer to play Guatemala on July 3 at Nashville
- Juventus faces Real test in Champions League semifinals
- Ex-England striker Greaves in intensive care after stroke
- Nagamura heads in winner for Sporting KC, 1-0 over Chicago
- Barcelona faces Bayern, old coach Guardiola in CL semifinal
- Amid title joy, Mourinho concerned for dad after surgery
- Timbers, Whitecaps play to 0-0 draw in Valeri's return
- Revolution hand Red Bulls first loss of season, 2-1