Salinas, Gordon help Earthquakes beat Galaxy 3-2
Salinas knocked in a loose rebound in the 92nd minute and Gordon scored on a header a minute later to give San Jose (5-7-6) a second comeback victory in two seasons against the Galaxy at Stanford. The Earthquakes came from two goals down to beat LA 4-3 last June 30.
Gordon scored his first goal of the season in the 68th minute to pull San Jose to 2-1. The Earthquakes’ chances looked dire after defender Victor Bernardez saw two yellow cards in the space of eight minutes and was sent off in the 77th minute, leaving San Jose down to 10 players.
Gordon got the game-winner moments later off a chipped cross from just inside Los Angeles’ penalty area by San Jose midfielder Sam Cronin.
Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane assisted on both goals for the Galaxy, but L.A. was left to deal with failed opportunities after Bernardez’s ejection, especially an 88th-minute save by Busch on Jimenez.
A prone Cudicini blocked a 50th-minute rebound shot from 8 yards by San Jose midfielder Marvin Chavez. The veteran keeper, who joined LA this year, was unable to come up with the critical saves in the dying minutes, however.
- For US, roster spots up for grabs in Friday match vs Peru
- Villas-Boas banned 6 games in Russia for striking official
- Chung says AFC broke election rules ahead of FIFA vote
- Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck has surgery on left knee
- Chile rises in top 10 of FIFA rankings led by Argentina
- Soccer players suspended for a game after blackface incident
- Carrard panel starts reform work for crisis-hit FIFA
- Uruguay set to rescind rights deal over bribery probe
- Unsung Iceland and Wales nearly qualified for Euro 2016
- German soccer clubs, fans rush to support migrants
- FIFA reforms panel makes little progress at 1st meeting
- Derby's American owners sell to 'Candy Crush' entrepreneur
- FIFA World Rankings List
- England a magnet for players as clubs flex financial muscle
- Government minister takes over Russian football
- FIFA scandal becomes exhibit at Mob Museum in Las Vegas