Salinas, Gordon help Earthquakes beat Galaxy 3-2
Salinas knocked in a loose rebound in the 92nd minute and Gordon scored on a header a minute later to give San Jose (5-7-6) a second comeback victory in two seasons against the Galaxy at Stanford. The Earthquakes came from two goals down to beat LA 4-3 last June 30.
Gordon scored his first goal of the season in the 68th minute to pull San Jose to 2-1. The Earthquakes’ chances looked dire after defender Victor Bernardez saw two yellow cards in the space of eight minutes and was sent off in the 77th minute, leaving San Jose down to 10 players.
Gordon got the game-winner moments later off a chipped cross from just inside Los Angeles’ penalty area by San Jose midfielder Sam Cronin.
Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane assisted on both goals for the Galaxy, but L.A. was left to deal with failed opportunities after Bernardez’s ejection, especially an 88th-minute save by Busch on Jimenez.
A prone Cudicini blocked a 50th-minute rebound shot from 8 yards by San Jose midfielder Marvin Chavez. The veteran keeper, who joined LA this year, was unable to come up with the critical saves in the dying minutes, however.
- Earthquakes-Timbers Preview
- 2 Dinamo Zagreb bosses arrested over bribery charges
- Dempsey, Chandler score as US beats Guatemala 4-0
- Mears' first MLS goal lifts Sounders past United, 1-0
- Barcelona loans defender Martin Montoya to Inter Milan
- UEFA lifts Man City, PSG sanctions after clubs curb spending
- Orlando City-Real Salt Lake Preview
- Toronto FC-Galaxy Preview
- AP Exclusive: CONMEBOL head says 'we need total change'
- Galatasaray signs Podolski from Arsenal
- Africa's soccer strongman a candidate for FIFA president?
- Nyarko gives Chicago Fire 1-1 draw with Houston Dynamo
- Colombiam forward Falcao joins Chelsea on season-long loan
- Altidore, Dempsey rejoin US lineup against Guatemala
- Whitecaps FC-Rapids Preview
- Revolution-FC Dallas Preview