Garcia scores a pair, RSL beats Galaxy 3-1
SANDY, Utah (AP)—Olmes Garcia scored twice in the final 10 minutes to help Real Salt Lake beat the Galaxy at home for the first time in more than two years, with 3-1 victory over Los Angeles on Saturday night.
“I am here to apply my skills and this is my skill—to score,” the Colombian said.
Khari Stephenson scored late in the first half for RSL (8-5-3) and Landon Donovan scored an equalizer before halftime for Los Angeles (6-6-2) but it was not enough to help LA avoid its sixth loss in its past eight games across all competitions.
Garcia headed home a cross from Javier Morales in the 84th minute to put RSL ahead, and then the two hooked up again two minutes into stoppage time. Morales sent a through ball into the center of the box. Garcia latched onto the pass and buried it inside the left post to assure RSL of the three points.
“These are the plays we need to do better at,” Donovan said.
The teams were scoreless until the 44th minute, when Stephenson fired a right footed shot from outside the box in the 44th minute and buried inside the left post to give Salt Lake a 1-0 lead.
Morales has impressed Salt Lake coach Jason Kreis with his late game energy and playmaking.
“He’s showing he’s at the top of his fitness level and at the top of his game,” Kreis said. “Those things go hand in hand.”
Donovan tied it on a perfectly executed counter a minute later. He won a long 50/50 ball, pivoted toward the goal and then threaded the ball inside the left post to make it 1-1.
The former U.S. national team star, who has been left out of recent selections by coach Jurgen Klinsmann following his sabbatical earlier this year, has nine goals and eight assists during 16 matches against Salt Lake.
- THE LATEST: English football chairman says Blatter must go
- How FIFA works: from the congress to executive committee
- Dnipro player collapses in Europa League final
- FIFA's commercial partners urged to make their voices heard
- A look at the 7 officials arrested in the FIFA raids
- Criminal probe arrives at door of the great survivor Blatter
- Russia criticizes US over FIFA case
- FIFA now subject to federal probes in US, Switzerland
- 12 schemes outlined by prosecutors in soccer indictment
- Ex-FIFA vice president Warner arrested, granted $2.5M bail
- Nike says it's cooperating with authorities in FIFA probe
- Blatter: FIFA to root out corruption, regain soccer's trust
- FIFA suspends 11 people over soccer corruption cases
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA elections
- 6 of the 7 arrested in FIFA probe oppose extradition to US
- US Department of Justice statement on FIFA corruption probe