Garcia scores a pair, RSL beats Galaxy 3-1
SANDY, Utah (AP)—Olmes Garcia scored twice in the final 10 minutes to help Real Salt Lake beat the Galaxy at home for the first time in more than two years, with 3-1 victory over Los Angeles on Saturday night.
“I am here to apply my skills and this is my skill—to score,” the Colombian said.
Khari Stephenson scored late in the first half for RSL (8-5-3) and Landon Donovan scored an equalizer before halftime for Los Angeles (6-6-2) but it was not enough to help LA avoid its sixth loss in its past eight games across all competitions.
Garcia headed home a cross from Javier Morales in the 84th minute to put RSL ahead, and then the two hooked up again two minutes into stoppage time. Morales sent a through ball into the center of the box. Garcia latched onto the pass and buried it inside the left post to assure RSL of the three points.
“These are the plays we need to do better at,” Donovan said.
The teams were scoreless until the 44th minute, when Stephenson fired a right footed shot from outside the box in the 44th minute and buried inside the left post to give Salt Lake a 1-0 lead.
Morales has impressed Salt Lake coach Jason Kreis with his late game energy and playmaking.
“He’s showing he’s at the top of his fitness level and at the top of his game,” Kreis said. “Those things go hand in hand.”
Donovan tied it on a perfectly executed counter a minute later. He won a long 50/50 ball, pivoted toward the goal and then threaded the ball inside the left post to make it 1-1.
The former U.S. national team star, who has been left out of recent selections by coach Jurgen Klinsmann following his sabbatical earlier this year, has nine goals and eight assists during 16 matches against Salt Lake.
- Ronaldo receives Golden Boot award for Europe's top scorer
- Jurgen Klinsmann sends Fabian Johnson home
- Boxx, Holiday, Chalupny set for international finales
- Russia and Slovakia qualify for 2016 European Championship
- AP Source: Lack of written contract led to FIFA suspensions
- Germany, Poland qualify for Euro 2016; Ireland into playoffs
- Albania qualifies for European Championship for 1st time
- Bradley, Dempsey out for US exhibition vs Costa Rica
- Feeling in Spain is for De Gea to replace Casillas in goal
- Thai federation president Worawi to appeal FIFA suspension
- Slovakia beats Luxembourg 4-2, qualifies for Euro 2016
- Perfect 10 for England in Euro 2016 qualifying
- Russia beats Montenegro 2-0 to qualify for Euro 2016
- Albania joins Germany, Poland, Romania at Euro 2016
- Loss to Mexico punctuates a rough year for US soccer
- Romania reaches Euro 2016 with win; Greece beats Hungary