Bieler, Nielsen lead Sporting KC past Chivas 4-0
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP)—Claudio Bieler scored two goals, the second on a penalty kick, and Jimmy Nielsen recorded his club-record 38th career shutout as Sporting Kansas City beat Chivas USA 4-0 on Sunday.
Nielsen didn’t have to make a save in earning his league-leading sixth shutout this season. He broke a tie for the career club mark he shared with Tony Meola.
Bieler’s spot kick, which put Sporting up 2-0 in the 57th minute, came after Chivas goalkeeper Dan Kennedy was shown a red card for pulling down Paulo Nagamura in the area. Bieler also scored in the 41st minute.
Graham Zusi, who had an assist on Bieler’s first score, had a goal in the 65th minute goal for Sporting (5-3-2), which snapped a two-match losing streak, and C.J. Sapong scored his first goal of the season in the 87th.
Chivas (3-4-2) is 0-3-1 over its last four.
Kennedy will be suspended for Chivas’ match May 12 at Portland.
- Sounders and Sporting Kansas City play to 0-0 tie
- Colorado beats Vancouver to end 11-game home winless streak
- Arrieta, DC United tie 9-man New England 1-1
- Benfica replaces Porto on preseason tour
- Giovinco lifts Toronto FC past Timbers, 1-0
- Ancelotti: 'I continue at Madrid, or I take yearlong break'
- Orlando City-Earthquakes Preview
- Gordon's goal in stoppage time lifts Galaxy over Dynamo 1-0
- Real Salt Lake extends NYCFC's winless streak to 10 games
- Ignacio Piatti leads Impact past FC Dallas, 2-1
- Valencia grabs Spain's last CL spot; Almeria, Eibar go down
- Monaco claims final Champions League birth
- Benfica celebrates title with sons of fan beaten by police
- Union-Red Bulls Preview
- Blatter set to polarize opinion for 4 more years at FIFA
- Johnson scores late goal, Fire tie Crew 2-2