Bieler, Nielsen lead Sporting KC past Chivas 4-0
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP)—Claudio Bieler scored two goals, the second on a penalty kick, and Jimmy Nielsen recorded his club-record 38th career shutout as Sporting Kansas City beat Chivas USA 4-0 on Sunday.
Nielsen didn’t have to make a save in earning his league-leading sixth shutout this season. He broke a tie for the career club mark he shared with Tony Meola.
Bieler’s spot kick, which put Sporting up 2-0 in the 57th minute, came after Chivas goalkeeper Dan Kennedy was shown a red card for pulling down Paulo Nagamura in the area. Bieler also scored in the 41st minute.
Graham Zusi, who had an assist on Bieler’s first score, had a goal in the 65th minute goal for Sporting (5-3-2), which snapped a two-match losing streak, and C.J. Sapong scored his first goal of the season in the 87th.
Chivas (3-4-2) is 0-3-1 over its last four.
Kennedy will be suspended for Chivas’ match May 12 at Portland.
- Africa's soccer strongman a candidate for FIFA president?
- Nyarko gives Chicago Fire 1-1 draw with Houston Dynamo
- Barcelona loans defender Martin Montoya to Inter Milan
- UEFA lifts Man City, PSG sanctions after clubs curb spending
- Orlando City-Real Salt Lake Preview
- Toronto FC-Galaxy Preview
- New York City FC-Impact Preview
- Copa America: Argentina, Chile trying to end title drought
- Mears' first MLS goal lifts Sounders past United, 1-0
- Dempsey, Chandler score as US beats Guatemala 4-0
- Colombiam forward Falcao joins Chelsea on season-long loan
- Altidore, Dempsey rejoin US lineup against Guatemala
- Whitecaps FC-Rapids Preview
- Revolution-FC Dallas Preview
- Red Bulls-Crew Preview
- Brazilian refs sending message to players: Stop the whining!