Earthquakes, Impact finish in 2-2 draw
Cronin took one touch off a knockdown header from Chris Wondolowski and lashed a shot home from 20 yards for his first goal of the season.
Montreal (5-1-2) extended its unbeaten streak to three matches.
San Jose (2-3-5) has tied four of the past five matches and is winless in six straight games.
Mapp opened the scoring with a 30-yard shot that pinged in off the near post, then made it 2-0 with an open tap-in at the far post, set up by Andrew Wenger’s short pass across the face of goal.
The performance capped a stellar week for Mapp, who also had a goal and an assist Wednesday in the Impact’s 6-0 romp against Toronto FC during a Canadian Championship semifinal tie.
San Jose dominated play early only to be kept off the scoreboard by some stellar work from Montreal goalkeeper Troy Perkins.
The Earthquakes opened the scoring when Jahn placed a left-footed shot from 10 yards to the far post, finishing off a sequence that began with passes from Marvin Chavez, Wondolowski and Cronin.
Midfielder Walter Martinez and forward Marcus Tracy made their MLS debuts for San Jose in the final half-hour, and it made a difference. Justin Morrow fed a ball back to Martinez in the 91st minute, and it was Martinez’s long ball that Wondolowski knocked down into Cronin’s lap.
- Herrera scores early to lift Mexico past Paraguay
- Argentina beats Ecuador 2-1 in friendly match
- US gives up another late goal in 1-1 tie at Switzerland
- CAF rejects Tunisia appeal against $50K fine but no ban
- No British soccer teams will play at Olympics in Rio
- Seattle and Western New York swap stars in major NWSL trade
- Former FIFA official Fernando loses appeal against life ban
- Turkish Cypriot soccer president: No going back on deal
- Martinez's goal in 2nd half lifts Venezuela past Peru
- Coroner awaits test results of soccer player hit by car
- Shea, Williams, Morales start for US against Switzerland
- European clubs win more money, influence in new UEFA deal
- Police: Missing college athlete died on Los Angeles freeway
- Russia Football Union appoints new anti-racism leader
- 3 Greek soccer players slightly hurt in Hungary taxi crash
- Alcoholism, violence and neglect: life as George Best's son