Earthquakes, Impact finish in 2-2 draw
Cronin took one touch off a knockdown header from Chris Wondolowski and lashed a shot home from 20 yards for his first goal of the season.
Montreal (5-1-2) extended its unbeaten streak to three matches.
San Jose (2-3-5) has tied four of the past five matches and is winless in six straight games.
Mapp opened the scoring with a 30-yard shot that pinged in off the near post, then made it 2-0 with an open tap-in at the far post, set up by Andrew Wenger’s short pass across the face of goal.
The performance capped a stellar week for Mapp, who also had a goal and an assist Wednesday in the Impact’s 6-0 romp against Toronto FC during a Canadian Championship semifinal tie.
San Jose dominated play early only to be kept off the scoreboard by some stellar work from Montreal goalkeeper Troy Perkins.
The Earthquakes opened the scoring when Jahn placed a left-footed shot from 10 yards to the far post, finishing off a sequence that began with passes from Marvin Chavez, Wondolowski and Cronin.
Midfielder Walter Martinez and forward Marcus Tracy made their MLS debuts for San Jose in the final half-hour, and it made a difference. Justin Morrow fed a ball back to Martinez in the 91st minute, and it was Martinez’s long ball that Wondolowski knocked down into Cronin’s lap.
- Spain replaces women's soccer coach Quereda after 27 years
- Galaxy-Rapids Preview
- Defendant in FIFA case to appear in US court
- MLS attendance on rise with big-name international players
- LA Galaxy reacquire G Donovan Ricketts from Orlando SC
- Asia football chief praises Platini as potential FIFA boss
- Paris Saint-Germain beats Manchester United 2-0
- CONMEBOL outlines reforms after FIFA bribery scandal
- Whitecaps FC-Sounders Preview
- Impact-New York City FC Preview
- Toronto FC-Revolution Preview
- President of CONCACAF to review refereeing department
- Correction: FIFA-Zimbabwe Fined story
- Kaka helps MLS All Stars to 2-1 win over Tottenham
- Goalkeeper Jaime Penedo is leaving LA Galaxy after 2 years
- Toronto FC's Bradley out 7-10 days with calf injury