Crew beats United 3-0 after fire delays start
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—Dominic Oduro, Josh Williams and Federico Higuain scored in the first half to help the Columbus Crew beat D.C. United 3-0 on Saturday night after a videoboard fire delayed the start 50 minutes.
The teams were warming up when the blaze broke out in the top of the videoboard in a speaker cabinet above the south stands about 25 minutes before the scheduled kickoff. Fans were cleared from the area and no one was injured, team president Mark McCullers said.
Oduro put the Crew (3-2-3) ahead in the 15th, Williams scored off Higuain’s corner kick in the 26th, and Higuain a penalty kick in in first-half stoppage time.
D.C. (1-6-1) has lost five straight.
- Whitecaps FC-Dynamo Preview
- Judge releases Argentine businessmen held in FIFA scandal
- Real Salt Lake-FC Dallas Preview
- Revolution-Union Preview
- Fire-Orlando City Preview
- Flamboyant Depay already a crowd-pleaser at Man United
- Norwich City-Southampton Preview
- Spain coach calls up David de Gea for Euro 2016 qualifiers
- Sporting Kansas City-Rapids Preview
- Crew-New York City FC Preview
- Manchester United-Swansea City Preview
- Impact-Toronto FC Preview
- FIFA contender Platini refuses to talk election issues
- Blind replaces Van Persie with Robben as Netherlands captain
- Midfielder Veloso back for Portugal against France, Albania
- Germany picks Liverpool's Emre Can for Euro qualifiers