Morales leads Real Salt Lake past Chivas USA, 1-0
Salt Lake (3-3-2) moved one point ahead of Chivas into second place in the Western Conference.
Chivas USA (3-3-1) has now lost two straight games while failing to score a goal in either match.
Less than minute after Olmes Garcia clanked a shot off the crossbar for the second time Alvaro Saborio recovered the ball and sent a cross into Morales near the left post. Morales tapped in the header and gave Salt Lake 1-0 lead.
The go-ahead goal from Morales came after a huge defensive play prevented Chivas USA from taking control before halftime.
Edgar Mejia lined up to take the kick and booted the ball toward the right post. Rimando perfectly anticipated the direction of the kick and batted the ball away at the post to keep it scoreless. It marked Rimando’s 18th career save on penalty kicks.
Rimando, who has given up just five goals in seven games, earned his second shutout of the season.
Morales came close to tacking on another goal in the 88th minute. He lobbed a free kick over a three-man defensive wall at the top of the box. The ball was on frame and pushed away by Dan Kennedy at the top corner of the left post.
Emotions boiled over for Chivas in the final minutes. Chelis, the team’s first-year head coach, had words for Morales as he subbed out with two minutes left. He had to be restrained by the fourth official and exited through the players’ tunnel shortly afterward.
Mejia followed up by being ejected with a red card during the fourth minute of stoppage time for fighting. He will be suspended for Chivas’ next match.
Salt Lake played without team captain Kyle Beckerman in the lineup. Beckerman was sidelined after dislocating a rib in practice last week.
- Red Bulls-Crew Preview
- Brazilian refs sending message to players: Stop the whining!
- Bradley replaces Dempsey as US captain for CONCACAF Gold Cup
- Some of the saddest own goals in soccer
- Fire-Dynamo Preview
- Madrid buys back Lucas Vazquez from Espanyol
- UEFA confirms Rubin Kazan to get Europa League place
- Homes of Dinamo Zagreb bosses raided by Croatian police
- Copa America: Argentina, Chile trying to end title drought
- 4 players fined by MLS for infractions
- Guzan, US seek to maintain momentum against Guatemala
- Red Bulls defender Duvall has surgery on a broken leg
- D.C. United-Sounders Preview
- Turmoil in Russian football as government limits foreigners
- China's Evergrande Taobao team applies for stock listing
- US files formal extradition request for 7 FIFA officials