Morales leads Real Salt Lake past Chivas USA, 1-0
Salt Lake (3-3-2) moved one point ahead of Chivas into second place in the Western Conference.
Chivas USA (3-3-1) has now lost two straight games while failing to score a goal in either match.
Less than minute after Olmes Garcia clanked a shot off the crossbar for the second time Alvaro Saborio recovered the ball and sent a cross into Morales near the left post. Morales tapped in the header and gave Salt Lake 1-0 lead.
The go-ahead goal from Morales came after a huge defensive play prevented Chivas USA from taking control before halftime.
Edgar Mejia lined up to take the kick and booted the ball toward the right post. Rimando perfectly anticipated the direction of the kick and batted the ball away at the post to keep it scoreless. It marked Rimando’s 18th career save on penalty kicks.
Rimando, who has given up just five goals in seven games, earned his second shutout of the season.
Morales came close to tacking on another goal in the 88th minute. He lobbed a free kick over a three-man defensive wall at the top of the box. The ball was on frame and pushed away by Dan Kennedy at the top corner of the left post.
Emotions boiled over for Chivas in the final minutes. Chelis, the team’s first-year head coach, had words for Morales as he subbed out with two minutes left. He had to be restrained by the fourth official and exited through the players’ tunnel shortly afterward.
Mejia followed up by being ejected with a red card during the fourth minute of stoppage time for fighting. He will be suspended for Chivas’ next match.
Salt Lake played without team captain Kyle Beckerman in the lineup. Beckerman was sidelined after dislocating a rib in practice last week.
- Platini: FIFA led by Blatter will always lack credibility
- Player dies in second-division match in Argentina
- The Latest: Aguero finishes as top scorer in Premier League
- Drogba to leave Chelsea again, wants to play 1 more season
- Real Salt Lake extends NYCFC's winless streak to 10 games
- Ignacio Piatti leads Impact past FC Dallas, 2-1
- Valencia grabs Spain's last CL spot; Almeria, Eibar go down
- Monaco claims final Champions League birth
- Wondolowski nets 100th goal in 1-1 draw with Orlando City
- Union win second straight, beat Red Bulls 2-0
- The Latest: Owner Mike Ashley is staying with Newcastle
- Sounders and Sporting Kansas City play to 0-0 tie
- Colorado beats Vancouver to end 11-game home winless streak
- Arrieta, DC United tie 9-man New England 1-1
- Benfica replaces Porto on preseason tour
- Giovinco lifts Toronto FC past Timbers, 1-0