Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
Seattle (1-3-2) beat Colorado for the seventh straight time and got its first win of the season. The Sounders have scored just three goals while being shut out three times.
Colorado goalkeeper Clint Irwin stopped a shot from the slot by Shalrie Joseph. The ball bonded right back to Martin, who put the ball past the outstretched hands of Irvin for his first goal with Seattle.
The ball had barely passed into the netting when Martins began a series of front cartwheels into the arms of several teammates.
Colorado (2-4-2) lost for the first time in three matches. Irwin had posted back-to-back shutouts.
The Rapids played without leading goal-scorer Deshorn Brown. The rookie forward suffered a thigh injury in Friday’s practice and is expected to miss up to two weeks.
- Unsung Iceland and Wales nearly qualified for Euro 2016
- German soccer clubs, fans rush to support migrants
- FIFA reforms panel makes little progress at 1st meeting
- Derby's American owners sell to 'Candy Crush' entrepreneur
- FIFA World Rankings List
- England a magnet for players as clubs flex financial muscle
- Government minister takes over Russian football
- FIFA scandal becomes exhibit at Mob Museum in Las Vegas
- Villas-Boas banned 6 games in Russia for striking official
- Chung says AFC broke election rules ahead of FIFA vote
- Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck has surgery on left knee
- Chile rises in top 10 of FIFA rankings led by Argentina
- Soccer players suspended for a game after blackface incident
- Carrard panel starts reform work for crisis-hit FIFA
- Uruguay set to rescind rights deal over bribery probe
- United-Madrid blame game after De Gea deadline-day debacle