Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
Seattle (1-3-2) beat Colorado for the seventh straight time and got its first win of the season. The Sounders have scored just three goals while being shut out three times.
Colorado goalkeeper Clint Irwin stopped a shot from the slot by Shalrie Joseph. The ball bonded right back to Martin, who put the ball past the outstretched hands of Irvin for his first goal with Seattle.
The ball had barely passed into the netting when Martins began a series of front cartwheels into the arms of several teammates.
Colorado (2-4-2) lost for the first time in three matches. Irwin had posted back-to-back shutouts.
The Rapids played without leading goal-scorer Deshorn Brown. The rookie forward suffered a thigh injury in Friday’s practice and is expected to miss up to two weeks.
- Dnipro chasing a dream in Europa League final
- Russia plans to use prison labor for 2018 World Cup
- FIFA defers decision on continental rotation for WCup bids
- Capello set target of World Cup semifinal with Russia
- Palestinians to push forth with bid to oust Israel from FIFA
- Wondolowski nets 100th goal in 1-1 draw with Orlando City
- Union win second straight, beat Red Bulls 2-0
- The Latest: Owner Mike Ashley is staying with Newcastle
- FIFA challenger says he was offered Blatter's financial info
- Real Madrid fires coach Ancelotti after disappointing season
- Norwich back in Premier League after winning playoff final
- Liverpool's decline leaves Rodgers' future in jeopardy
- Platini: FIFA led by Blatter will always lack credibility
- Player dies in second-division match in Argentina
- The Latest: Aguero finishes as top scorer in Premier League
- Drogba to leave Chelsea again, wants to play 1 more season