Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
Seattle (1-3-2) beat Colorado for the seventh straight time and got its first win of the season. The Sounders have scored just three goals while being shut out three times.
Colorado goalkeeper Clint Irwin stopped a shot from the slot by Shalrie Joseph. The ball bonded right back to Martin, who put the ball past the outstretched hands of Irvin for his first goal with Seattle.
The ball had barely passed into the netting when Martins began a series of front cartwheels into the arms of several teammates.
Colorado (2-4-2) lost for the first time in three matches. Irwin had posted back-to-back shutouts.
The Rapids played without leading goal-scorer Deshorn Brown. The rookie forward suffered a thigh injury in Friday’s practice and is expected to miss up to two weeks.
- Brazil still trying to regroup a year after 7-1 loss
- Blank makes it official: New MLS team is Atlanta United FC
- Late goal gives Haiti 1-1 tie with Panama in Gold Cup opener
- New York holding parade for champion US women's soccer team
- CONCACAF ends corporate partnership with Traffic Sports USA
- Bradley to make 100th appearance as US opens Gold Cup
- American forward Bobby Wood joins Union Berlin
- CONCACAF details rebuilding plans after FIFA bribery scandal
- Dempsey scores twice, US beats Honduras 2-1 to open Gold Cup
- Young Micronesian soccer side overwhelmed at Pacific Games
- Bradley makes 100th international appearance for US
- Steven Gerrard eager for sunny new challenges with LA Galaxy
- Vanuatu wins 46-0 in Pacific Games football tournament
- LA Galaxy midfielder Stefan Ishizaki heads home to Sweden
- FIFA bans former 2018-2022 WCup inspector for 7 years
- Poll: Russians losing interest in soccer ahead of World Cup