Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
Seattle (1-3-2) beat Colorado for the seventh straight time and got its first win of the season. The Sounders have scored just three goals while being shut out three times.
Colorado goalkeeper Clint Irwin stopped a shot from the slot by Shalrie Joseph. The ball bonded right back to Martin, who put the ball past the outstretched hands of Irvin for his first goal with Seattle.
The ball had barely passed into the netting when Martins began a series of front cartwheels into the arms of several teammates.
Colorado (2-4-2) lost for the first time in three matches. Irwin had posted back-to-back shutouts.
The Rapids played without leading goal-scorer Deshorn Brown. The rookie forward suffered a thigh injury in Friday’s practice and is expected to miss up to two weeks.
- Red Bulls name Baum director of communications
- Serb players quit Albania club after flag incident
- Herrera scores early to lift Mexico past Paraguay
- Argentina beats Ecuador 2-1 in friendly match
- US gives up another late goal in 1-1 tie at Switzerland
- CAF rejects Tunisia appeal against $50K fine but no ban
- No British soccer teams will play at Olympics in Rio
- Seattle and Western New York swap stars in major NWSL trade
- US Senators want FIFA to move 2018 World Cup out of Russia
- UEFA charges Georgia for fans on field during Germany match
- Martinez's goal in 2nd half lifts Venezuela past Peru
- Coroner awaits test results of soccer player hit by car
- Shea, Williams, Morales start for US against Switzerland
- European clubs win more money, influence in new UEFA deal
- Police: Missing college athlete died on Los Angeles freeway
- Russia Football Union appoints new anti-racism leader