George John lifts FC Dallas past Galaxy, 1-0
John directed a header into the left corner from less than 5 yards, then hit the back of his head on the right post, opening a cut.
Dallas improved to 4-0-0 at home and 5-1-1 overall. Los Angeles dropped to 2-1-2.
In the 69th minute Dallas goalkeeper Raul Fernandez slid a few feet to his left to deflect Landon Donovan’s penalty kick. Donovan has scored more career goals against Dallas that any other player with 17.
Fernandez finished with three saves.
Los Angeles’ Carlo Cudicini stopped Kenny Cooper’s penalty kick, making a diving save to swat away the shot from the left corner of the net. Dallas was awarded the penalty kick after Leonardo was given a red card in the 60th minute for a hard foul on Blas Perez inside the penalty area, forcing the Galaxy to play a man short the rest of the game.
Donovan made his first MLS start of the season. He took an extended leave of absence following MLS Cup 2012 in December and made his season debut against Toronto FC on March 30 as a second-half substitute.
- Union win second straight, beat Red Bulls 2-0
- The Latest: Aguero finishes as top scorer in Premier League
- Drogba to leave Chelsea again, wants to play 1 more season
- Real Salt Lake extends NYCFC's winless streak to 10 games
- Ignacio Piatti leads Impact past FC Dallas, 2-1
- Valencia grabs Spain's last CL spot; Almeria, Eibar go down
- Monaco claims final Champions League birth
- Benfica celebrates title with sons of fan beaten by police
- Player dies in second-division match in Argentina
- The Latest: Owner Mike Ashley is staying with Newcastle
- Sounders and Sporting Kansas City play to 0-0 tie
- Colorado beats Vancouver to end 11-game home winless streak
- Arrieta, DC United tie 9-man New England 1-1
- Benfica replaces Porto on preseason tour
- Giovinco lifts Toronto FC past Timbers, 1-0
- Ancelotti: 'I continue at Madrid, or I take yearlong break'