George John lifts FC Dallas past Galaxy, 1-0
John directed a header into the left corner from less than 5 yards, then hit the back of his head on the right post, opening a cut.
Dallas improved to 4-0-0 at home and 5-1-1 overall. Los Angeles dropped to 2-1-2.
In the 69th minute Dallas goalkeeper Raul Fernandez slid a few feet to his left to deflect Landon Donovan’s penalty kick. Donovan has scored more career goals against Dallas that any other player with 17.
Fernandez finished with three saves.
Los Angeles’ Carlo Cudicini stopped Kenny Cooper’s penalty kick, making a diving save to swat away the shot from the left corner of the net. Dallas was awarded the penalty kick after Leonardo was given a red card in the 60th minute for a hard foul on Blas Perez inside the penalty area, forcing the Galaxy to play a man short the rest of the game.
Donovan made his first MLS start of the season. He took an extended leave of absence following MLS Cup 2012 in December and made his season debut against Toronto FC on March 30 as a second-half substitute.
- Marin having trouble coming up with $1M cash bond
- LA Galaxy's Keane on MLS Best XI for 4th straight year
- Head of Brazilian federation subject of senate investigation
- Neymar on Ballon D'Or shortlist alongside Messi, Ronaldo
- Adi and Melano score, Timbers tie FC Dallas 2-2 to advance
- Draws for both Arsenal, Chelsea but only 1 team is satisfied
- Milner penalty gives Liverpool 1-0 win over Swansea
- West Ham draws 1-1 with West Brom in Premier League
- Shades of Maradona as Higuain leads Napoli to top of Serie A
- Carli Lloyd finalist for FIFA Women's Player of the Year
- Manchester City to face Hull in League Cup quarterfinals
- Crew reach MLS Cup with 2-1 aggregate win over Red Bulls
- Bale, Ronaldo ease pressure on Benitez in Madrid win
- Arsenal held 1-1 by Norwich as Sanchez comes off injured
- Tottenham extends unbeaten run by holding Chelsea 0-0
- Casillas saves penalty in Porto's 1-0 win at Tondela