George John lifts FC Dallas past Galaxy, 1-0
John directed a header into the left corner from less than 5 yards, then hit the back of his head on the right post, opening a cut.
Dallas improved to 4-0-0 at home and 5-1-1 overall. Los Angeles dropped to 2-1-2.
In the 69th minute Dallas goalkeeper Raul Fernandez slid a few feet to his left to deflect Landon Donovan’s penalty kick. Donovan has scored more career goals against Dallas that any other player with 17.
Fernandez finished with three saves.
Los Angeles’ Carlo Cudicini stopped Kenny Cooper’s penalty kick, making a diving save to swat away the shot from the left corner of the net. Dallas was awarded the penalty kick after Leonardo was given a red card in the 60th minute for a hard foul on Blas Perez inside the penalty area, forcing the Galaxy to play a man short the rest of the game.
Donovan made his first MLS start of the season. He took an extended leave of absence following MLS Cup 2012 in December and made his season debut against Toronto FC on March 30 as a second-half substitute.
- AP source: Angel Di Maria accepts 4-year deal with PSG
- Russian club slams 'bigotry' by rival fans
- Portland Timbers, Earthquakes play to a scoreless draw
- Kah scores 2 goals to lead Vancouver past Seattle, 3-0
- Dynamo score late for 1-1 draw with Sporting KC
- Cyle Larin scores twice, Orlando City beats Crew 5-1
- Wright-Phillips brothers connect in Red Bulls' 3-1 win
- Impact beat NYCFC 3-2 in Frank Lampard's MLS debut
- Optimism at Man United tempered by absent striking quality
- Accam, Maloney score, Fire beat FC Dallas 1-0
- Arsenal beats Chelsea 1-0 in Community Shield at Wembley
- LA Galaxy ends road skid with 3-1 win at Colorado
- Davies leads Revs over 10-man Toronto FC 3-1
- United tops Real Salt Lake in wild affair, 6-4
- Timbers-Earthquakes Preview
- FC Dallas-Fire Preview