George John lifts FC Dallas past Galaxy, 1-0
John directed a header into the left corner from less than 5 yards, then hit the back of his head on the right post, opening a cut.
Dallas improved to 4-0-0 at home and 5-1-1 overall. Los Angeles dropped to 2-1-2.
In the 69th minute Dallas goalkeeper Raul Fernandez slid a few feet to his left to deflect Landon Donovan’s penalty kick. Donovan has scored more career goals against Dallas that any other player with 17.
Fernandez finished with three saves.
Los Angeles’ Carlo Cudicini stopped Kenny Cooper’s penalty kick, making a diving save to swat away the shot from the left corner of the net. Dallas was awarded the penalty kick after Leonardo was given a red card in the 60th minute for a hard foul on Blas Perez inside the penalty area, forcing the Galaxy to play a man short the rest of the game.
Donovan made his first MLS start of the season. He took an extended leave of absence following MLS Cup 2012 in December and made his season debut against Toronto FC on March 30 as a second-half substitute.
- Collision again raises issue of concussions in World Cup
- US heads to World Cup final with 2-0 win over Germany
- Man U's game vs. Earthquakes switched to Avaya Stadium
- UEFA tells Spanish league to accept 2022 World Cup dates
- Chile beats Peru 2-1 to reach Copa America final
- UEFA eases restrictions on club spending
- Czech football great Josef Masopust dies at 84
- Wright-Phillips sparks the Red Bulls rally, 3-1 over NYCFC
- Argentina routs Paraguay 6-1, reaches Copa America final
- Missed penalty kick costs Germany in 2-0 loss to US
- Brad Davis scratched from US Gold Cup team; Garza added
- FIFA hopeful Bility says would step aside for Hayatou
- Dutch FA terminates Hiddink's contract as coach
- Goalkeeper Petr Cech joins Arsenal from Chelsea
- Fanendo Adi leads Timbers past Sounders, 4-1
- Argentina leads final 4 in Copa America semifinals