Chivas USA beats Fire 4-1
Velazquez gave Chivas (2-1-1) a 2-1 lead on a header in the 73rd minute. He directed midfielder Edgar Mejia’s long cross from the left side past goalkeeper Paolo Tornaghi before Chicago’s defenders could react.
Agudelo scored just under 2 minutes later. He took a loose ball, ran to the goal, and scored from 15 yards out when Chicago midfielder Jeff Larentowicz backed off.
Patrick Nyarko scored Chicago’s only goal, its first of the season after 333 minutes, 57 seconds, plus stoppage time, without a tally. It tied the match, but only for 9 minutes.
Mejia opened the scoring on a 24-yard blast in the 57th minute.
The Fire dropped to 0-3-1.
- Friday's Sports In Brief
- Chelsea-Arsenal Preview
- Garber: MLS wants top Americans despite Klinsmann's view
- Real Salt Lake-Revolution Preview
- Sporting Kansas City-Dynamo Preview
- Europa League semifinals: Sevilla-Fiorentina, Napoli-Dnipro
- Leicester City-Burnley Preview
- Sevilla, Fiorentina, Dnipro, Napoli make Europa League semis
- Accam scores early; Chicago beats 10-man NYCFC 1-0
- Manchester United-Everton Preview
- Garber: MLS plan in 6 months to expand beyond 24 teams
- D.C. United-Whitecaps FC Preview
- Union-Crew Preview
- Swansea City-Newcastle United Preview
- Tottenham Hotspur-Southampton Preview
- West Ham United-Queens Park Rangers Preview