Earnshaw scores twice, Toronto FC top Sporting KC
Kansas City finished 40 points ahead of Toronto last season but came out sluggish, just as it had done the previous week before rallying to defeat Philadelphia 3-1.
The second half was a different story but Toronto weathered the storm until the 77th minute, when Argentine striker Claudio Bieler, taking to a flick-on header from C.J. Sapong, fired a right-footed shot past Joe Bendik to cut the lead to 2-1.
It was a nail-biting finish as Kansas City stormed the Toronto end and Bendik made a fine reflex save off Bieler in the dying minutes to preserve the victory. They then had to endure five minutes of stoppage time during which Graham Zusi fired a shot over the Toronto crossbar.
Bendik also had to parry a Zusi free kick with time running down. Zusi had one more dead ball chance but KC couldn’t capitalize.
- Keane's hat trick lifts Galaxy over Toronto FC, 4-0
- Doyle's first MLS goal lifts Rapids over Whitecaps, 2-1
- Villa, New York City FC beat Montreal Impact 2-1
- Blatter: French, German presidents tried influence WCup vote
- England beats Germany 1-0 in extra time to finish 3rd
- Earthquakes-Timbers Preview
- 2 Dinamo Zagreb bosses arrested over bribery charges
- Dempsey, Chandler score as US beats Guatemala 4-0
- 10-man Orlando City earns 1-1 draw with Real Salt Lake
- Mauro Diaz leads FC Dallas over Revolution 3-0
- Messi fails again with Argentina's national team
- Finlay scores twice, Crew beat Red Bulls 2-1
- Chile beats Argentina 4-1 on penalties to win Copa America
- AP Exclusive: CONMEBOL head says 'we need total change'
- Galatasaray signs Podolski from Arsenal
- Africa's soccer strongman a candidate for FIFA president?