Galaxy rout Fire 4-0 in opener
CARSON, Calif. (AP)—The post-David Beckham era is off to a rousing start for the Los Angeles Galaxy.
Magee volleyed home a deflected cross in the 38th minute, converted Robbie Keane’s pass in the 68th and finished a rebound in the 74th. Keane then finished the scoring in the 80th minute.
The Galaxy, transitioning to a new style of attack after Beckham’s departure to French club Paris Saint-Germain, dictated most of the action in a game played largely between the 18-yard boxes.
“You see the quality that he has,” said Keane, who played a role in all three of Magee’s goals. “The three goals that he scored were exceptional goals … It was one of those things. Sometimes you just hit everything and it hits the back of the net. Mikey had one of those days today.”
It was the Chicago-born Magee’s first career hat trick and just his second multigoal game in 11 MLS seasons.
“It was cool,” Magee said. “The hat trick was cool, the win was cool, and the best part of the day was getting the rings.”
Chicago had two good scoring chances, but Chris Rolfe shot wide after Galaxy goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini’s giveaway in the 32nd minute and Cudicini deflected a Maicon Santos free kick over the crossbar in the 60th.
- Martins scores twice, Dempsey adds another as Sounders roll
- Chelsea wins Premier League title for 1st time in 5 years
- 5-year drought ends as Chelsea is champion of England again
- 1 man dead, 14 police hurt in football rioting in Poland
- Gordon pulls Galaxy to 1-1 draw with Rapids
- Espindola goal, assist sparks DC United's 2-0 win over Crew
- Toronto FC wraps up 7-game road swing with win over Union
- Fire-Sporting Kansas City Preview
- Nagamura heads in winner for Sporting KC, 1-0 over Chicago
- Barcelona faces Bayern, old coach Guardiola in CL semifinal
- Amid title joy, Mourinho concerned for dad after surgery
- Timbers, Whitecaps play to 0-0 draw in Valeri's return
- Revolution hand Red Bulls first loss of season, 2-1
- Arsenal-Hull City Preview
- Juventus seals 4th successive Serie A title with 1-0 win
- Sounders-New York City FC Preview