Despite the tie, Montreal (12-15-5, 41 points) was eliminated from MLS playoff contention, while Houston (13-8-11, 50 points) extends its lead over Columbus for fifth place in the Eastern Conference and the final playoff spot to two points.
Nyassi tied it in the 66th minute, getting behind the Houston defense and having his first shot from 16 yards in the middle of the box saved by Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall, but one-timing the rebound into the net.
Houston appeared to take a 2-1 lead in second-half stoppage time as Brian Ching blooped a shot from inside the upper box into the goal, but after a conversation between side referee Jason Callum and head referee Chris Penso, Ching was ruled offside.
Cam Weaver had a shot from 8 yards in the middle box go off the near post in the 84th minute, and Ching had a shot from in front of the far post stopped by Perkins in the 85th minute.
Nyassi had an opportunity to give Montreal a 1-0 lead in the 16th minute, but his first shot in the box was stopped by Houston’s Kofi Sarkodie before Hall, who had come off his line, pounced on Nyassi’s rebound in the middle of the box.
Off a free kick in the 19th minute, Kandji had his header from 14 yards in the middle of the box swatted over the crossbar by Perkins to keep it scoreless.
- With no ambition and a revolt by fans, Newcastle in freefall
- 30 people arrested in renewed soccer violence in Poland
- FIFA to study Israel-Palestinians dispute on election day
- Martins scores twice, Dempsey adds another as Sounders roll
- Chelsea wins Premier League title for 1st time in 5 years
- 5-year drought ends as Chelsea is champion of England again
- 1 man dead, 14 police hurt in football rioting in Poland
- Gordon pulls Galaxy to 1-1 draw with Rapids
- US soccer to play Guatemala on July 3 at Nashville
- Juventus faces Real test in Champions League semifinals
- Ex-England striker Greaves in intensive care after stroke
- Nagamura heads in winner for Sporting KC, 1-0 over Chicago
- Barcelona faces Bayern, old coach Guardiola in CL semifinal
- Amid title joy, Mourinho concerned for dad after surgery
- Timbers, Whitecaps play to 0-0 draw in Valeri's return
- Revolution hand Red Bulls first loss of season, 2-1