Despite the tie, Montreal (12-15-5, 41 points) was eliminated from MLS playoff contention, while Houston (13-8-11, 50 points) extends its lead over Columbus for fifth place in the Eastern Conference and the final playoff spot to two points.
Nyassi tied it in the 66th minute, getting behind the Houston defense and having his first shot from 16 yards in the middle of the box saved by Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall, but one-timing the rebound into the net.
Houston appeared to take a 2-1 lead in second-half stoppage time as Brian Ching blooped a shot from inside the upper box into the goal, but after a conversation between side referee Jason Callum and head referee Chris Penso, Ching was ruled offside.
Cam Weaver had a shot from 8 yards in the middle box go off the near post in the 84th minute, and Ching had a shot from in front of the far post stopped by Perkins in the 85th minute.
Nyassi had an opportunity to give Montreal a 1-0 lead in the 16th minute, but his first shot in the box was stopped by Houston’s Kofi Sarkodie before Hall, who had come off his line, pounced on Nyassi’s rebound in the middle of the box.
Off a free kick in the 19th minute, Kandji had his header from 14 yards in the middle of the box swatted over the crossbar by Perkins to keep it scoreless.
- Police: Missing college athlete died on Los Angeles freeway
- Russia Football Union appoints new anti-racism leader
- 3 Greek soccer players slightly hurt in Hungary taxi crash
- Alcoholism, violence and neglect: life as George Best's son
- Fire beat short-handed Union 1-0
- Apology for wrong anthem for El Salvador before game in US
- Morris replaces Johannsson on US roster vs Switzerland
- Earnshaw scores late goal, Whitecaps edge Timbers 2-1
- Seattle and Western New York swap stars in major NWSL trade
- Former FIFA official Fernando loses appeal against life ban
- Turkish Cypriot soccer president: No going back on deal
- Real Salt Lake beats Toronto FC 2-1 on late goal
- Germany, Portugal boost Euro 2016 qualifying hopes
- Freddy Adu signs 1-year contract with Finnish club
- Dynamo and Rapids play to scoreless draw
- 10-man FC Dallas holds off the Sounders, 0-0